encore

huntwithme

I am a fan of the encore single shot rifle. im thinking on buying a custom mgm barrel in 25/06ai with a 26" brl. are these custom barrels just as good as say a brux or bartlein as far as accuracy goes or should I just rebarrel my 700

Depends, kind of a crap shoot. I have two barrels from a reputable builder. One in 6.5 Grendel and one 338 win mag. The 6.5 shoots sub 1/2" groups all the time with factory ammo. The 338 hasn't broken 1.5" with anything, factory or handloads.

I do have a encore pistol in 243 with 16" barrel and a 41 mag 12 inch barrel. they both shoot pretty good. I have a 700 in 25/06 that the barrel is getting shot out. groups are spredding. either I buy a mgm for the encore or go with a Krieger or that way. the mgm barrel runs about 450 or Krieger runs 700 installed both 26"

I've not been impressed with my encore. I'd rebarrel the 700.

Otherwise pick up a ruger No. 1

You ought to do a search for "Remage" barrels before you pay that much for a barreling of a 700 Rem. It is done just like a Savage with a barrel nut and you can do it yourself for just a little more than half the price you stated including the tools needed. I have a MGM 14" barrel in 30-30AI for my Contender pistol. When I had it made a few years ago I had my choice of using a Shilen select SS or their standard barrel which they would not tell me who made them but I suspect probably Shilen did. I got the Shilen select SS and it is a shooter.

The Encore can be a real tack driver of a platform, & I have had several different calibers over the years. All of which have been shooters. I think the original Encore barrels are much better than those produced now days. You will get alot more accuracy out of even a factory Encore barrel if you accurize it. By free floating the forend, & upgradeing the hammer & locking springs & replacing the factory barrel pin with as 1x or 2x Bellum & a good trigger job will help immensely. These are cheep upgrades for the most part that you can do yourself with You Tube at home. All of my TC Encore barrels over the years have shot 1moa or better, & most on the better end. I have only 2 barrels right now, both for hunting. A 300 Win Mag Prohunter that shoots .5moa out to 500yds with hand loads & a 209x50 muzzleloader that shoots .75-1moa out to 400 yards. Maybe I've been lucky, but I like my Encore's they have performed very well for me. Maybe try to find a gently used one, they are out there & sometimes at a bargain & might be a pleasant surprise as well. Good luck with you decision. KMG

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts