TC Encore

Bigfoot

I guess I put my question in the wrong thread under equipment and don't know how to move it so I will repeat it here. I am looking for some new rifles 7mm,25-06,22-250. Cruising this site and others looking for pros and cons I don't see any talk about the TC Ensore pro hunter. A single shot, 28" barrel rifle would seem to me to be top of the list for a long range shooter? Is there something about this rifle I am missing? Is the accuracy inherently poor? I had sort of decided on Savage 116 FCSS as I sighted one in for a friend in 300 WM and loved the trigger and the out of the box accuracy although the stock is a little small for my big hands but the TC keeps coming to mind. Any comments appreciated as I want to order within the next week or so.

I think that there are too many inconsistencies and inherent problems with the TC from what I read. I think you'll find that closing and lock up can cause a problem with accuracy, from what I read, if not done the same each and every time.

Also I think you will find that people say they have problems with the barrel and forend with clearences etc. and some spend a lot of time and money on that area.

The guys that tend to populate this site are very accuracy and detail oriented and find that a well built bolt action provides that and gives them the results they want at loooong range whereas the TC probably will only produce the same results at a much shorter range.

Like Ernie said, if it was me I'd stick with the Savage. They are proven in the accuracy department and a lot of people build dedicated long range rigs with them, either modifying stock rigs or going the full custom route.

The TC is visually appealing to a lot of people but I'd bet that if you didn't see so many on the TV shows that it might be a different story. I guess you just need to decide what your range, accuracy and consistency demands are and then make your choice.

Just remember though, when it comes to a dedicated loooong range rig, there's a reason you see everybody shooting well built bolt action guns.:)

Good Day

As a long time user of the TC system, I would have to say that there are pros and cons about the system.

I do use it for long range crow shooting, with a 6mm BR barrel. For that it works quite well. Long range for me is 600 yards.

Accuracy has been excellent for me, but I use custom barrels, handload very carefully, and practice a lot. And while I have not had forearm issues ( my custom barrels all use a hanger bar ), the barrel pin will wear and not give you a consistent lockup position. Not an issue for hunting, but another possible variable for bench style shooting.

If you are looking for a walk around hunting rifle, or are a tinkerer always looking for a better / different way to do things, then the TC is great. But if you do much from a bench, or are in need of speedy 2nd shots, then the TC is not so great. This is because everytime you reload, you take the rifle off your shoulder; head away from the scope; and after you reload, you have to line every little thing up again. This is true for any tilt / break open action. There are more variables to control and it is much more difficult for consistent multi shot accuracy. It basically comes down to what you are looking for. As a walking rifle, it is excellent, as a bench gun it is not so practical.

So it comes down to what you are looking for. If you were looking at the Savage, don't change to the TC as it is a specialty niche. Single shot yes. Multiple barrel / chamberings yes. Accuracy yes. Better? NO. just different.

That darn Wild T.V. Your right I hadn't even considered a TC until I got addicted to Wild T.V. Will order the Savage as originaly planned. Thanks for the input.

Bf,
The TC is not a bad product.
I have a Contender myself with several barrels.
Break-Opens do have a number of "pros," but for LR shooting, the bolt action gives you: quick reloading in the field, free-floated barrels, faster locktime, and a stronger action.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts