Elk Guid Tip?

OK - here's a related question for everyone.

I hunt whitetails in the Carolinas every year. I have used many different outfitters over the years. Typically, you don't have a "guide" who provides any guiding services. You get a driver who drives you to your stand and picks you up twice a day. Given that he doesn't do anything that a biggame guide typically does; should you still give him 10% of the total cost of your outfitted event?
Me and a buddy did a similar hunt in Kentucky last year but the guide also helped get my buck out of the woods. I gave him 10% since he did more than driving.Otherwise I probably would have given 5% for driving.
I don't think there's a mathematical formula for every situation. I kinda just wing it off the 10% rule

So many good replies. To be sure this isn't my first hunt out west. Iv done 8 DIY hunts in Wyoming sense 1986. Only one elk hunt in which I was successful. The rest have been mule deer. Everything on my back packing in on foot about 2 miles. So I know the hard work it takes, and the fortitude to push when it hurts. I'll know if my guid is just horse riding or really trying hard to give me an opportunity for a shot at an Elk. To me I think that's all a person can ask for from a guid. I also know my success depends on my part also. Not a one way street. I have no problem tipping all that are involved in my hunt. Successful or not.

Heck if I have to tip "BRANDON" an extra 1000.00 for fuel just to get there, then surly I wouldn't mind tipping my guid and others.

So much wisdom, knowledge and help from you good folks.

Thanks. Jimmy

So many good replies. To be sure this isn't my first hunt out west. Iv done 8 DIY hunts in Wyoming sense 1986. Only one elk hunt in which I was successful. The rest have been mule deer. Everything on my back packing in on foot about 2 miles. So I know the hard work it takes, and the fortitude to push when it hurts. I'll know if my guid is just horse riding or really trying hard to give me an opportunity for a shot at an Elk. To me I think that's all a person can ask for from a guid. I also know my success depends on my part also. Not a one way street. I have no problem tipping all that are involved in my hunt. Successful or not.

Heck if I have to tip "BRANDON" an extra 1000.00 for fuel just to get there, then surly I wouldn't mind tipping my guid and others.

So much wisdom, knowledge and help from you good folks.

Thanks. Jimmy
😂😂

OK - here's a related question for everyone.

I hunt whitetails in the Carolinas every year. I have used many different outfitters over the years. Typically, you don't have a "guide" who provides any guiding services. You get a driver who drives you to your stand and picks you up twice a day. Given that he doesn't do anything that a biggame guide typically does; should you still give him 10% of the total cost of your outfitted event?
Not trying to be a smart aleck, but I live in NC and have a hard time imaging anyone "guiding" a white tail hunt anywhere in NC. I've got photos of my great-grandfather acting as dog-handler/guide for folks quail hunting in early 1900's. Back when we had wild quail. As for the tip - I just don't know. I guess if you bagged a very nice one something may be in order.
Amendment : if he helps drag one out, helps skin/package, etc. that is definitely worth something.

Not trying to be a smart aleck, but I live in NC and have a hard time imaging anyone "guiding" a white tail hunt anywhere in NC. I've got photos of my great-grandfather acting as dog-handler/guide for folks quail hunting in early 1900's. Back when we had wild quail. As for the tip - I just don't know. I guess if you bagged a very nice one something may be in order.
Amendment : if he helps drag one out, helps skin/package, etc. that is definitely worth something.

I need an outfitter because they cover all the bases for an out-of-towner. Lodging, meals, large tracts of land and regularly baited areas if you hunt that way. I prefer to hunt the really large soybean fields where shots can be rather long. I drag my own deer out and occasionally pay separately for skinning/quartering. Last year they said deboning was required for interstate transportation of the carcasses, so we paid $35 for each whitetail to have it done. I much prefer that now. I hope others offer the same thing.

I guided elk hunts for about 20 years, retired 6 years ago. Most of the time I got 10%… one fellow gave me a gas station cheapie flashlight after he shot his elk opening morning.
Usually, by the end of the hunt, I felt like I was hunting with a friend. I had quite a bit invested in glass, gear, gas, and wear and tear on my pickup. The outfitter paid me by the day and the tip sure helped make it worthwhile. I did it for the love of the hunt, not to get rich. My advice is to tip whatever you are comfortable giving. If your guide works hard for you, tip him well, if he doesn't, let your tip reflect what you think about the job he did for you.

I've never been on a guided hunt. This conversation is enlightening for me. I guess I don't understand the idea of tipping for a service that has already charged me for the service I'm receiving. If the guide requires or deserves more money , why don't they charge up front . I seldom ever took a tip from a customer when I was an archery tech . The few times I did, it was to keep from offending the customer . For me a thank you is all the extra I wanted . I see the point in tipping a waiter/waitress . Their paycheck is dependant on tips and its understood. I dont get the tipping thing in a business that charges fully for a service rendered .
All that said, I guess I will have to take into account that a guided trip doesn't really cost what is charged , but actually costs 10% or more over the advertised price . That is , if I ever go on such a hunt . I would have likely thanked them graciously and given them a nice knife to remember the hunt. Like I said, enlightening .

I've never been on a guided hunt. This conversation is enlightening for me. I guess I don't understand the idea of tipping for a service that has already charged me for the service I'm receiving. If the guide requires or deserves more money , why don't they charge up front . I seldom ever took a tip from a customer when I was an archery tech . The few times I did, it was to keep from offending the customer . For me a thank you is all the extra I wanted . I see the point in tipping a waiter/waitress . Their paycheck is dependant on tips and its understood. I dont get the tipping thing in a business that charges fully for a service rendered .
All that said, I guess I will have to take into account that a guided trip doesn't really cost what is charged , but actually costs 10% or more over the advertised price . That is , if I ever go on such a hunt . I would have likely thanked them graciously and given them a nice knife to remember the hunt. Like I said, enlightening .
Most of the times the GUIDE is not the same as the outfitter owner and work on a very limited wage. Not to argue that the outfitter should pay them more, but the fact tips are how they makeup the difference to that minimum wage. Also, giving them something like a nice knife or the likes does not pay the bills. Remember, they are a guide and have plenty of these kinds of tools for their trade.

Tips make up 2/3 of my total pay as a guide. Outfitters daily pay covers my expenses, the tip is my take home.

Tips make up 2/3 of my total pay as a guide. Outfitters daily pay covers my expenses, the tip is my take home.
Good to know. So your pay scale is pretty much just like a waiter . Had no idea . Why would the powers that be, if there is such a thing, not just charge for the service up front ? Maybe to hold your iron to the fire so you get that animal for your client , I guess.
Like I said, I never when guided and had no idea it worked that way.