ELK bullets, am I missing something?

JMPrecision

FIRST post so be gentle.
For this years elk hunt i find myself in an odd position. I have been a long time user of Nosler Accubonds and Berger Vlds. In my opinion both are extremely effective when used for what they are intended.( So please dont turn this into one of those threads.) Due to component availability i find myself exploring the .308 200gr Hornady Eld-x . So far in my new build 300 wsm LA , have a wide node @ 2820 and a wide seating depth node that produces just over 1/4 MOA very consistently. I have no issue or doubt with getting the freedom pill to its mark. The concern comes after the vapor trail.

There is alot of mixed reports and information on the web. On this particular projectile. Lets keep this to the 200 eld- x not the 143 or AMax or 212 please.

I have never shot thru an elk period.I usually try to place the bullet where it will break the offside shoulder. Here is a pic off the 180 accubond collect from Elk from 6 feet (left) to 618 (right) and various in between. I have not used the 215 but Broz' documentation is undisputed. Please look at my cross section picture also. In my mind i have to say it looks as if the ELD X "could" perform as the best of both worlds? But i do not like leaving things to chance. Any real experience with this particular freedom pill with pic and distances will greatly help put my mind at ease. I also intend to do some media testing and will post the results.
I hope all are enjoyind a wonderful labor day , GOD bless.

FIRST post so be gentle.
For this years elk hunt i find myself in an odd position. I have been a long time user of Nosler Accubonds and Berger Vlds. In my opinion both are extremely effective when used for what they are intended.( So please dont turn this into one of those threads.) Due to component availability i find myself exploring the .308 200gr Hornady Eld-x . So far in my new build 300 wsm LA , have a wide node @ 2820 and a wide seating depth node that produces just over 1/4 MOA very consistently. I have no issue or doubt with getting the freedom pill to its mark. The concern comes after the vapor trail.

There is alot of mixed reports and information on the web. On this particular projectile. Lets keep this to the 200 eld- x not the 143 or AMax or 212 please.

I have never shot thru an elk period.I usually try to place the bullet where it will break the offside shoulder. Here is a pic off the 180 accubond collect from Elk from 6 feet (left) to 618 (right) and various in between. I have not used the 215 but Broz' documentation is undisputed. Please look at my cross section picture also. In my mind i have to say it looks as if the ELD X "could" perform as the best of both worlds? But i do not like leaving things to chance. Any real experience with this particular freedom pill with pic and distances will greatly help put my mind at ease. I also intend to do some media testing and will post the results.
Make sure to post those pics

20210906_100258.jpg

I understand the cup and core vs bonded , but if the eldx has the energy dump of the 215 without the concern of plugged tips , from its construction i feel it " should" be reliable. But the proof is in the pack- out. Thanks for the heads up on the failure to dowload pics.

To speak to your title, yes, no and maybe. How about that? Rifle is shooting great, sweet!! Your success with the accubond is the easy button.

No real world news on the 200 grain eld-x and not a berger fan. Just me.

I sold almost all "other" bullets I had except the nosler partitions which are very seldom the wrong answer.

Shooting Hammers now across the board. May be the only thing your "missing"

Best of luck this year!

None on Elk. That is why I defer to Broz and others who have vast experience with elk and say the Bergers.

Bear, deer and lots of smaller stuff with the hammers. And load development on paper...

Yes, 125 and under. .280AI blew right through quarter size exit. Liquified inside but eat right up to the hole...Same with White tail which I actually recovered base and a few petals. Go figure. Hard quartering downward angle. Went down so fast I had to circle around to find him...

FIRST post so be gentle.

You are correct, Broz real-world success on elk with the Berger 215 is hard to beat. My .300 WSM propels the 215 Berger at 2850 FPS out of 24" with RL17.