Eliminating the obvious, poor shooting with my Rem 700

Southernfryedyankee

I had my gun perfectly sighted in last year, I would shoot 1.25" high and put each round into a group of .33" at 100 yds. I went to the shooting range the day before yesterday and I could not even hold a 3-5" group for the life of me shooting off of secure sandbags. Today I stripped my rifle from it's HS Precision stock and saw a build up of what looked like rust and hard water stains and build up behind the recoil lug spanning the area of where my action meets the aluminum block screw would be placed, upon further inspection I also saw the same buildup of gunk/rust where the safety area underneath the action meets the aluminum block and screw. I lightly sanded, cleaned and oiled both areas along with the aluminum block of the HS stock. Now that all of the gunk and rust are gone is it safe to say that this is where my inaccuracy could have stemmed from?

Every time I've had a normally good shooting gun go bad quickly it was caused by the scope, scope rings, or scope mount bases. I wouldn't think corrosion under the action would have any affect on accuracy unless it was really horrible. Check your mount and rings first then swap in a new scope if it that didn't work.

Every time I've had a normally good shooting gun go bad quickly it was caused by the scope, scope rings, or scope mount bases. I wouldn't think corrosion under the action would have any affect on accuracy unless it was really horrible. Check your mount and rings first then swap in a new scope if it that didn't work.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I concur. Sounds like something has been bumper out of alignment or vibrated itself loose If you find a screw loose you might want to consider thread lock. I swear one of my gun cabinets has a minahoonie running loose with an allen wrench in it. If you take your bases off I would at least use thread lock on them when you remount the bases.

Good luck. And BTW, rat or roach poison won't kill the minahoonies either. I've already tried that.

Good luck,
Beelz

If that's what was found on the exterior of the rifle I would be scared to see whats inside the bore. Especially if you used a ammonia solvent and did not clean the ammonia out.... OUCH!..Check it out, I have had many customers in the past do this and degrade a perfectly good barrel.

I had my gun perfectly sighted in last year, I would shoot 1.25" high and put each round into a group of .33" at 100 yds. I went to the shooting range the day before yesterday and I could not even hold a 3-5" group for the life of me shooting off of secure sandbags. Today I stripped my rifle from it's HS Precision stock and saw a build up of what looked like rust and hard water stains and build up behind the recoil lug spanning the area of where my action meets the aluminum block screw would be placed, upon further inspection I also saw the same buildup of gunk/rust where the safety area underneath the action meets the aluminum block and screw. I lightly sanded, cleaned and oiled both areas along with the aluminum block of the HS stock. Now that all of the gunk and rust are gone is it safe to say that this is where my inaccuracy could have stemmed from?

This could have caused the accuracy problem, but you have not cured the corrosion problem and
it will happen again.

When dissimilar metals are placed together and H2o is added it is almost a certainty that corrosion will follow.

I believe in bedding "All" actions In stocks and the fact that there is an aluminum alloy bedding block
does not change that because they don't fit perfectly anyway, also the corrosion issue is resolved by
the bedding compound separating the two dissimilar materials.

Do a good bedding job and you can eliminate this problem and if it still doesn't shoot well look at the scope, bases and mounts.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.