I need some direction with my 700

midmo

I just bought a r700 adl in 30 06. I took it out with 3 different factory loads and couldn't get a group. I had fed blue box 150 gr, Winchester grey box 150 and 165. The shots were taken from a led sled. I am new to Remington. And suggestions on where to start on getting this resolved?

I had a Remington 700 adl in both .270 and 30-06 many years ago and both would shoot at least a 1" group with handloads. 3 shots @ 100 yards.
I did free float the barrels as both had wood stocks and both had a few pressure
points on the barrel.

The first thing I would check is to make sure your scope rings and bases are rock solid. Lot's of problems have been resolved after finding an issue with the mounting system. What scope do you have ? a lesser quality scope could also be the issue.

Never had a factory Remington rifle that I couldn't get to shoot a 3 shot 1" group at 100 yards.

I've relied on Remington rifles for over fifty years. Every once in a while I find one that missed quality control inspection (if they have such a thing) and seems to have a mind of its own.
I usually tear it down, check the fit of all component parts to make sure nothing is binding, then bed the action and FULLY free float the barrel all the way back to the recoil lug. That usually solves the problem.

Free float the barrel, if it's a X-mark trigger replace it with a timney or at least a old style trigger and bed the action if your comfortable doing so. Break the barrel in and don't get to excited if it doesn't start grouping in the first 40-50 rounds. My most accurate rifle is a 22-250 Ackley improved built on a 700 action with a factory remington sporter take off barrel that I bought used for $35 that the guy told me wouldn't shoot under 1" at 100

What is your scope setup? If it was one of the package rifles with the unbranded scope I would start right there and replace the bases, rings and scope. If that isn't an option, at least check all screws to make sure they are tight.

Most of the ADL rifles I have played with will turn out 2 inch groups or much better with factory ammo before I even mess with floating the barrel and hand loading.

I just bought a r700 adl in 30 06. I took it out with 3 different factory loads and couldn't get a group. I had fed blue box 150 gr, Winchester grey box 150 and 165. The shots were taken from a led sled. I am new to Remington. And suggestions on where to start on getting this resolved?

lightbulbMake sure your rifle/scope combo is in good working order and set-up accordingly and the use of the lead sled is not causing your issue.lightbulb

All the responses I have read have been good information, all good places to start,
In case those do no help, here are some other issues that I have dealt with in the past with the Rem 700.
How much time between shots?
Factory barrels are not stress relieved and will change point of impact while heating up. Try putting 5 minutes between shots, this will also help extend barrel life.
Wood stock? Check for stock warping. These stocks have built in pressure points to compensate for what I mentioned above, so as the moisture in the air or temperature changes the pressure on the barrel will change.
Hope this is helpful.

As stated above make sure the lead sled is not touching the rifle where unintended. Shoot some match grade ammo.

Ammo makes a difference: I have a .308 barrel sporter that shoots 2 inches at 100 yards until you load a 175 grain OTM in it then shoots around 1/2 inch. The most extreme example I have experienced is a 7mm rem mag sporter barrel I had that shot factory 150 grain core locks into a 6 to 7 inch circle at 100 yards. 175 grain handloads shrunk it to 3/8 of an inch.

Good luck

Jerry

Never got acceptable results with the sled..DFT...really only use it with my 8mag and heavy bullets where 1" is ok, then it's on me when I want to get serious!!. Try pulling the 700 back into your shoulder and get cozy with it......I think the results will show the rifle loves to be snuggled!!!!!!

Good luck!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.