ELD-M for hunting

It looks to me like the X was intentionally designed with a thickening jacket around the interlock ring and base . It makes sense to me that the thinner jacket up front opens rapidly and the thicker portion is to assist in controlled expansion and to hold the base of the bullet together to ensure adequate penetration.
That's exactly what it is! I did think it had a more hollow cavity than it has, but no matter, it has PLENTY of expansion as it is.

Not sure really, i got it from Panhandle precision. We only took one deer with the 123gr ELD-M and it performed pretty well honestly. We have some 143gr ELD-X loaded up for the SAUM but idk. They both seem to work.

It looks to me like the X was intentionally designed with a thickening jacket around the interlock ring and base . It makes sense to me that the thinner jacket up front opens rapidly and the thicker portion is to assist in controlled expansion and to hold the base of the bullet together to ensure adequate penetration.
I understand that.
In the pic it looks like both jacket walls aren't the same thickness on both sides above the base.

Shot a nice coues buck behind the shoulder @ 110 yds with the 147 ELD-M with a MV of 2880 out of my 6.5x284. Not much of a test, I know but I'd use them again from what I've seen. Didn't hit any bone, expansion was good with a golf ball sized exit hole and vitals were mush. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again based off my sample of 1.

Has anyone worked up a load in there 6.5x284 with the 143 eldx and 147 eldm? I'm down to my last 100 of 140 vlds. And I'm thinking about trying the 143, 147. Any advice on loads. My rifle is a Cooper Phoenix 1-8 twist 26" barrel

My load is 55.0 gr Retumbo, Fed 210M, Lapua brass and 147 ELD-M seated .020" off the lands with MV of 2880 fps.

They work pretty well honestly. 130gr ELD-M at 636yds.
IMG_4131.jpg

100% agree, I was merely pointing out where the perception of the X having more of an open hollow point came from. Your post here alludes to it as well. Those actual sections show different than Hornady's illustration at least on the tip.

That's exactly what it is! I did think it had a more hollow cavity than it has, but no matter, it has PLENTY of expansion as it is.

The x has a thicker jacket than the m at the base but it is thinner at the nose. The x also has a small core retaining ring (crimp) inside the jacket.

Thanks for posting.

What was left of the bullet? Where did you hit the hog - what did the bullet go through?
Didn't look for bullet or fragments....was dark when field cleaned. Hit mid back shoulder. Jellied everything inside.....as I said, it was dark and didn't examine thoroughly! Looked to perform pretty much like my VLDs in the same rifle(as well as other rifles).