Hornady ELD Match Bullets for Hunting

I understand. So far I have not experienced that yet with the Berger. I think you can find good and bad in them all. Choose your poison.
Absolutely but also keep in mind, the more you use a given bullet, the more you'll experience different outcomes. I've killed a few der with Berger's with good results but also have seen some not great results. I'm sure all bullets will provide the same opposite results. Use what makes you confident.

Thin jackets ARE the plus for me. Violent and fast fragmentation is what I want in a deer. People, shoot the deer where ever you prefer. My preference is in the ribs. They are DRT with that shot Everytime for me. Even for bigger animals like Elk I prefer an ELDM or Amax and shoot the same spot. Same results most times. I've had a bull elk make it 60 yards one time but the exit hole left a paint trail that Ray Charles could follow.
Properly hit directly in the Rib area yess , i agree, I'm talking off angle , big bones , length of body shots where deeper Penetration is needed. Please watch the Link Above that i previously Posted by Randy the Real Gunsmith, you'll hear pros and Cons , Happy Hunting !

With the exception of dead rear or dead frontal shots I wouldn't hesitate to use ELDMs at creed velocity, espcially if the kid is a good shot. I've been plonking a bunch of stuff with them in 7mm and it's pretty surprising what they will pass through. I'm shooting 180g 7mm at roughly creedmoor speeds, so I've got more momentum but the 180 is notoriously delicate. Anyway it will pass through 2.5" blocks of laminated white oak from 50 to 550 y. Not bad. Deer shoulders shouldn't be an issue. At the same time fragmentation will occur with the minimal resistance, a huge positive for quartering/rear lung shots. Target bullets have limitations of course but I wouldn't think twice about it if that's what you can get. Elk I'd definitely balk, and on large bucks I'm not sure I'd aim for shoulder balls at close ranges, but it's absolutely viable. As others have pointed out the difference between a target ELDM and a hunting Nosler ballistic tip is extremely esoteric. Some negativity toward the idea is based on legitimate failures to perform, but a lot of poo-pooing is sanctimonious grandstanding on one hand and really bad user choices on the other. There are examples of failure but I've also seen traditional hunting bullets fail, including core-lokts which are pretty delicate daisies. At the same time people carefully take deer with .243 varmint bullets all the time. What's the difference between a varmint bullet and an ELDM? BC, SD, and they box they put it in? Anyway I hunted with monos instead of ELDMs this year but it really came down to a coin toss and the fact that I was in close cover that day. I'd absolutely hunt with the Hornadys if that's what was available.

Last edited:
Hey guys, looks like this old thread came back around….that's cool. As a post scrip to my original question. I chose to go with 140gr ELDM's in front of H4350 in the 6.5 Creed and H4831 in my 6.5 PRC. These combinations on shots behind the shoulder have done a great job. 2 bucks both dead within eyesight with decent blood on the ground and serious internal devastation (vitals turned to mush). They give me confidence due to the predictably small .250-.375" most all the time and to me that's a huge plus for them. I will be using them 140's on a upcoming Coues hunt for sure. It's fun to see this old thread come about again and thanks to all that put forth advise or opinions, I read and appreciate them all.

Attachments

• 11301234-C1FE-4469-99D3-BBD64253B6CA.jpeg
    11301234-C1FE-4469-99D3-BBD64253B6CA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 65
Hey guys, looks like this old thread came back around….that's cool. As a post scrip to my original question. I chose to go with 140gr ELDM's in front of H4350 in the 6.5 Creed and H4831 in my 6.5 PRC. These combinations on shots behind the shoulder have done a great job. 2 bucks both dead within eyesight with decent blood on the ground and serious internal devastation (vitals turned to mush). They give me confidence due to the predictably small .250-.375" most all the time and to me that's a huge plus for them. I will be using them 140's on a upcoming Coues hunt for sure. It's fun to see this old thread come about again and thanks to all that put forth advise or opinions, I read and appreciate them all.
Funny I usually check on that type of thing before I chime in, totally missed that. Just for the sake of curiosity and the next generation that researches this, roughly what were your velocities at impact or general range and what are your rifle setups? What would you think the limitations are having seen them operate? Nice deer. I'm glad you found something that works and are enjoying it.