ELD-M for hunting

WeiserBucks

The new 6.5 147 grain bullet has caught my eye . I used the A-Max olot on game and was pretty impressed. The ELD-M is being marketed as a target bullet , any reason it wouldn't be similar to the A-Max on game ?

They expand plenty and if anything they expand too much. I shot a elk at 533yds last year with 162 Amax's out of a 7-300wm at 3265. Even at 533yds the bullet never made it to the far side of the rib cage. I ended up having to shoot it again. I would say the heavier for caliber you go the better you'll be. The 140 Amax's out of my 6.5-300wm perform better than the 162 7mm's and I've killed 3 elk with the 6.5-300wm under 150yds. I will try the 147's out of one of my fast 6.5mm's and the 225's out of my 30-338 Norma Imp because they do kill well when they don't blow up on the surface.

I'll be shooting them out of my 6.5x284 , I can get 140's over 3000 fps without issue. I'm thinking the 147's at around 2950 or so would be a nice combination. If they over expand at very high velocity, they may work very well at modest speed .

I use the 285 ELDM. I've only used them down to 2100 FPS. 2100 FPS was still a pass through.

And still had a full pass through at 2750 FPS.

Launched from a 338 RUM running 2825 FPS.

Shot a large cow elk at 350 yards this year. Took out the heart and recovered the bullet on the far side. 45% weight retention.

I really like these bullets for hunting.

I haven't tried the new 147gr yet but the 140 Amax had about half the weight retention as compared to 143eldx. I would guess the 147 eldm would act very similar to the Amax perhaps a littler faster expanding. I'll test them in bullistics gel when get box of them.

Got my FOUR boxes of 147 ELD-M pills today, Midway did me a solid and sent me an extra box of bullets, as on my other order a couple days prior of bedding pillars for a Ruger M77, they sent me the wrong pillars and my project was delayed, so they sent me the correct pillars and an extra box of bullets. Can you say customer service??? Thanks Larry.

Anyway....I work 2 more nights, then I'm going to start some load development, should get over 2900 fps, then after that I'll try to collect some bullet performance data. Other than milk jugs, anyone have any ideas for a readily available media to test the bullet in?

Got my FOUR boxes of 147 ELD-M pills today, Midway did me a solid and sent me an extra box of bullets, as on my other order a couple days prior of bedding pillars for a Ruger M77, they sent me the wrong pillars and my project was delayed, so they sent me the correct pillars and an extra box of bullets. Can you say customer service??? Thanks Larry.

Anyway....I work 2 more nights, then I'm going to start some load development, should get over 2900 fps, then after that I'll try to collect some bullet performance data. Other than milk jugs, anyone have any ideas for a readily available media to test the bullet in?
Whitetails?

Lol sadly in southwest Wyoming, we're mulie country and season is closed ha ha. But I certainly can see what they will do to coyotes next time I get out lol