Efficiency out of 22" barrel

Iclimb

Hi guys I have a 721 LA donor that I'm considering doing my first build off of. It's a 270 now, I hate .270's so I'm want a little something different. I'm wanting a gun that will work well in my truck, lightweight and shorter barrel, looking to get efficiency to maximum 600 yards. Rarely will I have a shot that long but if opportunity knocks I need it to work (Typically I'll be working within hundred yards) I would prefer a barrel in the 20 or 22 inches range. Lower end of recoil. Barrel life is not a big concern

Okay so the question is what is a good caliber to utilize in the shorter barrels for deer and elk sized game. I think I want to be in the 6.5, 7mm category but not sure.

Initially I'm wanting a .264 WinMag or .284, But mostly I want to get the most out of the shorter barrel if there's a better option.

.280ai, 6.5x284, 6.5-06.....

Any suggestions?

Preferences are funny things. A friend is putting together a 6.5-06, my response, isn't that what we used to call a .270? I have a 6.5-284 coming so thats my bias (choice) of the 3 listed. Not a thing in the world wrong with a 280AI. A standard .284 Winchester falls nicely in that group as well. Having had a few in barrel lengths 20-22" I'd go plain Jane 30-06 with 190-215 grain bullets but then recoil goes up a bit.

Would the boltface I have work for the 264 or 284? I like the idea of the long action built .284 I 'll be using berger bullets for whatever I choose.

Can anybody give me an idea of what kind of velocities I could expect out of the .264

Would the boltface I have work for the 264 or 284? I like the idea of the long action built .284 I 'll be using berger bullets for whatever I choose.

Can anybody give me an idea of what kind of velocities I could expect out of the .264

Building a 264 WM on a 20-22" barrel is a complete waste. My #1 suggestion is go 22" on the barrel. That is a good length. My 30.06 has a 22" PacNor and it is a pleasure to carry and shoot. For what you are wanting to do definitely go with the good old 30.06.

Keep in mind, you nor any game animal you shoot in that usual 100 yards is going to notice any difference between a 270 and a 30.06 or a 280 or 280AI. That is my opinion based on experience.

My 30.06 shoots the 185 Berger VLD very well. I can't remember which powder I'm using with it off the top of my head. It's either Re19, Varget, or H4350.

If you go with a short barrel, the 6.5's tend to lose quite a bit, especially the larger cased ones like .264WM, 6.5-284, and 6.5-06. From a short barrel, I would lean toward a 6.5 Creedmore because the propellants it is designed to use are known to work well in short barrels.

In general, if you want to use a short barrel, stay with moderate case capacity, use heavy bullets and the slowest burning powder appropriate. As others mentioned, a 30-06 or a 338-06 would work well.

If you are trying to keep the recoil down, I would go with 7x57AI, heavy bullets (160-180 grains), and RL-17. That combo would give you both punch and reach in a light rifle and still be pleasant to shoot. You would have plenty of room to seat long bullets and still cycle through the magazine. Good 7x57 brass is easier to find than .284 brass and less expensive.

As a total package, I think the 7x57AI would be tough to beat in a short barreled rifle.

Keep in mind said:
Yeah I realize that, seems to be a go to response. I agree with you on barrel length will probably stick at 22", as far as 30-06 goes I've never cared much for them either, not really interested in 30 cal. Quiet frankly they bore me to no end. Looking to be a little different. Their seems to be some mystic in the .264 win mag and .284 in early western big game hunting. In my mind that is...

First rifle was a .280 , it was a ruger and I hated the gun, always loved the cal. I'm leaning towards the .284 looks like good speed with less powder to me. If I get a .264 win mag it's only right that it be in a model 70 IMO.

If you go with a short barrel, the 6.5's tend to lose quite a bit, especially the larger cased ones like .264WM, 6.5-284, and 6.5-06. From a short barrel, I would lean toward a 6.5 Creedmore because the propellants it is designed to use are known to work well in short barrels.

In general, if you want to use a short barrel, stay with moderate case capacity, use heavy bullets and the slowest burning powder appropriate. As others mentioned, a 30-06 or a 338-06 would work well.

If you are trying to keep the recoil down, I would go with 7x57AI, heavy bullets (160-180 grains), and RL-17. That combo would give you both punch and reach in a light rifle and still be pleasant to shoot. You would have plenty of room to seat long bullets and still cycle through the magazine. Good 7x57 brass is easier to find than .284 brass and less expensive.

As a total package, I think the 7x57AI would be tough to beat in a short barreled rifle.

Thanks .338-06 may be something to look at. But like I said...

May have to consider it.

Their seems to be some mystic in the .264 win mag and .284 in early western big game hunting. In my mind that is...

If I get a .264 win mag it's only right that it be in a model 70 IMO.

The .264 WM loses a lot of its mystique in barrels shorter than 26". I have a recent production Model 70 Sporter w/26" barrel in .264WM. I REALLY like it and highly recommend it. The feather weight models look cool, too, but they have a 24" barrel in .264. Not enough, IMO.

The .264 WM loses a lot of its mystique in barrels shorter than 26". I have a recent production Model 70 Sporter w/26" barrel in .264WM. I REALLY like it and highly recommend it. The feather weight models look cool, too, but they have a 24" barrel in .264. Not enough, IMO.

Good info, thanks. How about 7mm wsm in the shorter barrels?

I don't have personal experience with them, but it is my understanding that the WSM's do very well in shorter barrels. I believe this to have a lot to do with the propellants designed for them.

I know the Ruger Compact Magnums were designed by Hornady specifically to take advantage of newer propellant technology to perform at their best with 20" barrels.

Magnum cartridges and the WSMs require a larger bolt face. The WSMs will also require a wider feed rail. Best stick to cartridges that will fit and feed.

If you like the 7mm the most logical choice is the 280. It will fit and feed just like the 270 with no additional gunsmithing. If you specify enough twist you could even shoot the 180 Bergers.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.