symptoms of a shot out barrel ???

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Pete L, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Pete L

Pete L Well-Known Member

I hope someone can help me as i seem to be geting no were,OK I have a nesika 243 AI with a Krieger barrel 1 in 13 twist I use 68 or 70 gr Berger bullets I have put a fair few rounds through this rifle now over the past 2 years but the accuracy has dropped of terrible,as far to say its like a factory rifle using factory ammo,I have done all the useual check seating depths chasing the lands ect I have even had it re crowned,I have had a look with a bore scope and theres heavy fire cracking but the rifling still looks in good order not but not being a gun smith I dont really know what to look for,Personally the rifle gone from banging 10 shots into 1 big raggy hole to not being able to shoot a clover leaf,which this rifle combo should do all day long,Do you think I need a new barrel ?? Also its coppering up really bad and takes a lot of cleaning only after 5 shots

2. boomer

boomer Active Member

I have had a similar problem and after getting tired of cleaning the rifle my smith set back the barrel a thread and re-chambered it, then fire laped the barrel and now its shooting like a dream again I don't have to clean after a few rounds.

3. Coyboy

Coyboy Well-Known Member

If you have enough barrel shank diameter left I would try to set it back at least an inch. May-be more if the crackling extends further down the bore. If you can't live with a shorter barrel get a new one and start it out 2" longer than you want, so the next time you will have enough to set it back at least once.