Economic Scope for Dial Up Shooting

BLOODHOUND BRO

I'm looking to go to dial up doping on my next scope, but I'd like to stay somewhere around $1000 dollar mark. Does anybody have any recommendations regarding the accuracy and consistency of the click size for some of the more economic scope options (vortex, leupold, zeiss, etc). Obviously Nightforce and Schmidt & Bender are consistent, but I can't afford that.

Thanks in advance,

I'm looking to go to dial up doping on my next scope, but I'd like to stay somewhere around $1000 dollar mark. Does anybody have any recommendations regarding the accuracy and consistency of the click size for some of the more economic scope options (vortex, leupold, zeiss, etc). Obviously Nightforce and Schmidt & Bender are consistent, but I can't afford that.

Thanks in advance,

I have had excellent results with Vortex and Zeiss in the price range mentioned. A lot of scopes will not track 100% perfectly. IE they might be 2% off at 30 MOA. Since most folks use an app these days for a dialing solution, some apps have the ability to enter a correction value for any built in error that the scope dials. Applied Ballistics has this capability.

Check out Bryan Litz in the vid below. He explains how to do a "tall target test" to figure out any error the scope may have.

The tall target test also test repeatability of the scope.

[ame]https://youtu.be/12Wf0Cuwwi8[/ame]

Thanks in advance,

For FFP, I have pretty good luck with SWFA 5-25x50 HD and Burris Veracity 4-20x50.

Thanks in advance,

SWFA SS is the most economical and their tracking, return to zero and zero retention are superb. The fixed x models are only $300 and are without question, the most scope for the $ you can get. In the fixed x model, I recommend the 6x or 10x. I had a 16x and the mechanics were superb on it too, but th eyebox is quite critical on it and glare is problematic when the sun is low on the horizon. The 6x and 10x don't suffer those maladies. The 10xHD has all the same great qualities of the classic 10x and better glass. The turrets are a splined attachment instead of the set screws. The 3-9 has th HD glass and splined turrets too but no parallax adjustment.

The Bushnell LRHS also has flawless tracking, return to zero and zero retention and some additional features: zero stop, low profile 10 mil per rev turret, and capped windage turret. The glass is better than the SWFAs too. New, the 3-12 is a tiny bit above your specified price range but they can be had used in excellent condition for about $800.

For a dialing scope, I would stay with a scope designed and built for that purpose. The two outlined above are. Some other brands, or at last some models within those brands, are set and forget hunting scopes that have a tactical or target type turret added by the factory.

John

I looked into the SWFA SS 3-15, love the features and the durability, don't love the weight.

The Sightron SIII 3.5x10 looks like a great option, just wish it was FFP with and had an MOA option.

Does anybody have any experience with the VX-6, VX-6HD or VX-5HD on their tracking?

My brother and I have had quite a few of the 6, 6hd, and 5hd scopes recently and all have tracked great for us. I've heard the stories about the 6 line, hopefully whatever issues they had with those has been corrected with the hd line. So far we haven't had any trouble with them.

Another good option in your range is the conquest hd5 with the target turrets. I've had one for a while and it tracks great. Personally I really like they're locking turret system but with the zero stop installed you only get one rotation (17 minutes if I remember right).

If your look g around $1000 why not the nightforce shv. I have one on my 300 win mag and love it. Obviously it's lacking some features of my atacr but the glass is great and it tracks like a nightforce. Fits my needs perfectly for that gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.