Easy Tikka WSM magazine solution

bangflopdead

It's common knowledge that one of the major downfalls of a Tikka T3 in a WSM chambering is the factory magazine's limit on OAL. Before picking up my 270 WSM last fall, I'd spent hours scouring the internet for solutions to this issue, and found 3 common responses:

1. Just use a standard long action magazine. Problem: despite the multiple claims I've seen online, the (multiple) long action mags I checked were all slightly narrower than the WSM mags, and while you could physically insert the WSM rounds, it was a tight fit and wouldn't feed reliably.

2. Cut the spacer out of the rear of the WSM mag, fabricate a new shorter spacer, and either add an extension to the follower or make a new follower. Problem: Unless you have the proper tools to fabricate a new follower, you're stuck trying to bond something to the plastic follower. I don't have the proper equipment to fabricate a follower, and a bonded extension: (a) isn't something I'd trust with my luck, and (b) looks like something that has been cobbled.

3. Purchase new bottom metal/magazines and toss the plastic mags. Problem: This is a pricey solution (bottom metal and 2 magazines is near half the initial cost of a stainless T3, without paying for installation) that is still a compromise with the WSM specific mags, limiting OAL to 2.97. There is also the possibility that if you absolutely need another magazine for whatever reason, they may not be available, and factory mags are now useless.

The solution I found is beyond simple, although since (from my searching) Tikka follower/spring assemblies aren't available separately, you will need a donor long action magazine.

Disassemble the WSM magazine. Remove (cut/grind) the rear spacer. The lower section of the WSM mag has a little casting nub on the inside floor; insert a long action spring/follower in the lower mag section, using this nub as a locator for the front edge of the spring. With the lower/follower sitting flat on a table, lower the magazine upper section onto the lower (easiest way to ensure the spring doesn't move).

Next is the bolt stop, which is simple. Either grind the factory bolt stop to long action specs, or purchase a long action bolt stop (mine is ground, I refuse to pay what Beretta wants for them). That's it. You have a long action WSM magazine that actually works, uses readily available components, and which you can easily return to factory spec (with a short action bolt stop and magazine). Cost: ~$55. The downside? Loading the short WSM rounds in the long magazine takes a little more attention than an unmodified mag. Not difficult by any means.

If this has already been posted, I apologize for the long post. I haven't seen this option listed anywhere, and was hoping to add something useful.

Forgot to mention, there is also a fin at the back of the WSM mag (not present on the long action magazine) that will also need to be removed.

At work, so I don't have the exact numbers in front of me. I believe I've gone to 3.030, but since you're opening up to long action magazine specs, you should be able to load to whatever those specs are. I want to say 3.35-ish. I know at 3.030 there's still a lot of room.

I've done some similar jiggery pokery on the Tikka mags & am still fighting the log jam unless I'm very careful on the bolt. Jason at mountaintactical.com (tikkaperformance.com) is working on a solution. I can't give details on availability or timelines for production, but let me assure you the prototype functions quite well...

rapid feeding tends to cause log jams- I need to "double clutch" them to get them to feed properly. We're also planning to test some anti-tilt followers, but don't have much time to shoot right now...

I wanted to post an update on feeding WSM rounds in the LA Tikka mag.
Someone on this site, I forget who, recommended taking the mag apart and sanding the inside.
Well I did this with a dremmel tool and holy hell it works and feeds flawlessly!
basically I sanded from the back of the mag to within about 1/2" of the front of the mag, and sanded clear up to the bottom of the feed lips.
I cycled rapidly in my 6.5 SAUM that previously would jam, and there wasn't a single hang up period!
I'll post a picture with a 7-300 WSM Berger 195 loaded in there

Here are a few wsm rounds with 180 Eldms, loaded to 3.11
IMG_20190101_103529650.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts