Easter eggs at 1000 yards

I totally agree that reading the wind is by far the most important skill in long range shooting. I did appreciate the video you did on the SIG Kilo10 and bought one as a result, but let's put things into perspective. A good friend of mine just finished 12th in the world F Class championships in Johannesburg, SA. He makes his own barrels (the winner used his). The competition was at 900 meters (981 yards) - close enough to 1000 yards.

The 5 ring is 10" wide; the V ring is 5" wide. Competitors fired 130 shots each. They even get two sighters. Obviously, they have a huge advantage in that they get wind feedback from the shot they just fired. These guys use the best equipment possible - the rests they use cost more than a lot of rifles. The rifles themselves are built for these kinds of rests and certainly are not hunting rifles.

Guess what percent of shots the winner put into the 10" ring? 86.9%. He put less than half of his shots (44.6%) of his shots into the 5" V ring, which is certainly bigger than an egg.

Granted, these guys don't get to pick their shots, but when the best in the world, using the best equipment possible, can't put 90% of their shots into a 10" circle at 1000 yards, I think that says something.
And how....the wind. Once our group started to shoot at 1mile/2k at the new facility here in FL we learned quickly that wind and mirage were big time game changers. Some guys pack up and leave when the mirage gets awful, but in FL that's pretty much every day by 10am. Either gotta embrace and learn it or be a sour puss shooter. Actually was a ton of fun reading up then taking out to the range to put it into practice and connect the dots.

Love the eggs at 1k awesome shooting love it well done.

Last edited:
James , I am very interested in attending you school. I will Find your web sight and get all the info. Hopefully this year. I am hoping at can participate using my .270 Weatherby Mag hunting rig, as I did at bang steel shooting school. Great video, Thank You!!

And how....the wind. Once our group started to shoot at 1mile/2k at the new facility here in FL we learned quickly that wind and mirage were big time game changers. Some guys pack up and leave when the mirage gets awful, but in FL that's pretty much every day by 10am. Either gotta embrace and learn it or be a sour puss shooter. Actually was a ton of fun reading up then taking out to the range to put it into practice and connect the dots.

Love the eggs at 1k awesome shooting love it well done.
Id be interested in knowing where the new facility is here in Florida.

clients get 10 shots to hit the golfball (easter egg this time) :)
That's the challenge I did let 2 shoot 15 do too bad ammo fliers (factory ammo)
if they hit or not is no big deal its about reading wind and scope cant!
It's a game of chance (most take 5-10 shots to hit a golf ball if they do hit) and attention to detail, That's what I teach. I do this every week all year round not sure about Benchrest I have no interest in that, we teach long-range hunting here
I have trained many BR guys, PRS, Military and Pro's from many disciplines over the last 7 years as a civilian.
So far none of them could really read the wind without flags and wind meters until they came here, as I teach!
no sighters and they have to help with the wind calls, but I do most of the wind calling in level 1.
normally out of 10 students in class 2 to 3 hit the golf ball (this class was an exception)
Bipod and rear squeeze bag is what we use

come see for yourself thats all I can say
Sounds like the whole reason to take a class, learn the skills to achieve your goals. Sounds like you're giving the students the skills to do that. They might not meet the objectives during the class but at least they will gain the knowledge to sharpen their skills in the future. Which is the goal of any class.

Yes but that was B27 targets but with Iron Sights. Hope you waited till panback to NO Zoom
My point is it's not a good comparison of skill. Using a scope only increases the need to be able to read the wind. I've hit steel targets at 800 yards with iron sights. Not a problem. Hitting a egg at 800 yards with optic? Much harder skill set due to the need to read the wind.

Yes but that was B27 targets but with Iron Sights.
A B27 target is huge. I shot a ton of them using iron sights on a PPC pistol. Heck I've shot them with regular factory handguns. The x ring is still probably twice as large as a golf ball.