first time at 1000 yards

rdsii64

Well folks I have made it back from my first time shooting at something that was half a mile away. Today I learned more about the wind than on any other day. After I verified my zero on a 100 yard paper target I warmed up so to speak with some steel targets from 100 through 600 yards. out to 600 yards I only had to watch one range flag. Little did I know what the wind had in store for me past the 600 yard line. This particular range is in a canyon and the 750 and 1000 yard targets were up the hill that formed one of the canyon walls. 600 yards and in were on the canyon floor

After I got comfortable I decided it was time to try my hand at shooting something half a mile away. There were three targets out that far. The first was a round 36" steel plate. The second was a round 24" steel plate, The final one was an 18" buffalo. I started with the 36" plate and with one of the range personnel spotting for me, he talked me on target in 5 shots. The interesting thing about this experience is that the spotters wind call would only be good for one maybe to shots. Old Mr. wind was trying hard to keep me off the plate. thanks to a good spotter I had my way with that 36" plate. Next in line was the 24" plate. Since we had a general idea what kind of games the wind was playing getting on this target was a bit easier even if it was harder to hit. By now my head is pretty swelled. The best part is I got to show off in front of my wife. Finally it was time to try the smallest target at 1000 yards. There was a lull in the games Mr. wind was playing. Now He was only blowing one direction at a time. I took advantage and I hit the 18" buffalo plate in 2 shots. I had no idea hitting things from half a mile ( actually its 6/10 of a mile) could be this much fun. Now all I gotta do is learn to dope the wind. Today was a good day.

Can you tell us what your gun setup is? Caliber, bullet wght, scope and such?

skywalker
My set up is a Howa 1500 chambered in .308. It has a #6 contoured heavy varmint barrel with a target crown mounted in a Bell and Carlson medalist MkII stock. A Wotac 4-14X50 from Wonder optics rides an EGW flat base.

I am thinking switching to an EGW 20 minute base so my erector is closer to centered at 1000 yards. I was shooting factory Magtech 150 grain boat tail FMJ.
A co-worker is loading some 155 Scenars for me. I haven't started working on a long range killing bullet yet but I am leaning to 180 grain bergers.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts