My first time at 1000 yards.

Creedmoor shooter

Figured I'd post up my first experience at 1000 yards. I wasn't going to try it because of the wind gusts but I figured I'd try it anyway. First target was a 1 gallon jug. I hit it the 2nd shot after a slight elevation and windage adjustment from my first shot. Then I completely lost where my bullets were going because I didn't have a spotter. Then I finally saw a splash 2 moa right. Made my adjustment and hit the jug 2 more times making me 3 for 11. Since I had my dope I decided to try it on a clay pigeon with my last bullet. I grinned ear to ear as I watched it turn to dust in my scope at a range finder confirmed 1000 yards. This was done with my 6.5 Creedmoor built on a Savage action and a 140 eld. My final dope was 27.5 moa elevation and 5.5 for windage

Figured I'd post up my first experience at 1000 yards. I wasn't going to try it because of the wind gusts but I figured I'd try it anyway. First target was a 1 gallon jug. I hit it the 2nd shot after a slight elevation and windage adjustment from my first shot. Then I completely lost where my bullets were going because I didn't have a spotter. Then I finally saw a splash 2 moa right. Made my adjustment and hit the jug 2 more times making me 3 for 11. Since I had my dope I decided to try it on a clay pigeon with my last bullet. I grinned ear to ear as I watched it turn to dust in my scope at a range finder confirmed 1000 yards. This was done with my 6.5 Creedmoor built on a Savage action and a 140 eld. My final dope was 27.5 moa elevation and 5.5 for windage

Great shooting man! Nothing like getting results like that with a rifle you put together! Also seem the Hornady ELDs are plenty accurate enough and this is more confirmation that their BC is correct.

It takes a lot of rounds down range to get a good handle on the effects of wind . My range has a fair amount of wind at different angles and ranges . Sometimes I get it right , sometimes it makes me look really bad .

good job . I've finally found a place I can shoot long too . my old place was pushing to get 600 yards .the new place I can get 1640 , this is less than half way . I'm really enjoying it . good luck to you , it's a challange .

good job . I've finally found a place I can shoot long too . my old place was pushing to get 600 yards .the new place I can get 1640 , this is less than half way . I'm really enjoying it . good luck to you , it's a challange .

In my particular place I can shoot out to 1400. I plan on trying that after I get more proficient at 1000

Accuracy and consistency are the #1 priority. Just need to get the bullet to the target in the velocity range it's designed for .

For hunting purposes, if you bullets are designed to expand at a minimum of 1800 fps, and your cartridge falls to that velocity at 850 yds, that is the theoretical max for the combination.

The above example isn't a set in stone rule , just a good guide line. For target shooting, just stay supersonic and have a ball.

For hunting purposes, if you bullets are designed to expand at a minimum of 1800 fps, and your cartridge falls to that velocity at 850 yds, that is the theoretical max for the combination.

The above example isn't a set in stone rule , just a good guide line. For target shooting, just stay supersonic and have a ball.

This is just a target toy mostly. And predators and varmints. I've got a 7mm mag for bigger stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.