E-Tip Bullets in a .257 Weatherby?

Peregrine82

Hello everyone! I just wanted to see if anyone has tried using Nosler's E-Tips in their .257's? Not really a bullet that shoots bad in my rifle. I just prefer shooting monolithic bullets in this caliber due to the high impact velocities. I have shot the Barnes TTSX and they are a good bullet but I noticed that the E-Tips sport a slightly higher BC. Was wondering if anybody had feedback on these in this caliber.

I'm curious. Got a 257 Beast or Weatherby last year. 115 gr. Combined Technology s what I've been using. Thinking about changing. Cuz ****, those are bombs at that speed

I'm curious. Got a 257 Beast or Weatherby last year. 115 gr. Combined Technology s what I've been using. Thinking about changing. Cuz ----, those are bombs at that speed

Yeah the basic cup and core bullets are varmint bullets at the .257 Weatherby speeds. The Accubond does better but is still explosive at close distances.

I'm shooting them at 3600 fps from my .257 Wby. Last year was the first year with them. I killed a coyote at 250 yds and a doe at 175 yds. The doe was hit just behind the shoulder with the exit on he other shoulder but no bone hit. She dropped at the shot. The photo shows the exit. The lungs were shredded nicely.
20181119_120650.jpg

I'm shooting them at 3600 fps from my .257 Wby. Last year was the first year with them. I killed a coyote at 250 yds and a doe at 175 yds. The doe was hit just behind the shoulder with the exit on he other shoulder but no bone hit. She dropped at the shot. The photo shows the exit. The lungs were shredded nicely.
View attachment 141175

Have you compared accuracy to other bullets?

At 200 yds and further I've been extremely impressed with the accuracy out of the etip. I have a factory 24 inch 257weatherby that loves these bullets with h1000.

I have not shot any other bullets. Accuracy sucked with 7828 and many seating depths, but group size was cut by more than half when switching to H1000.

It's unfortunate for factory rifle users that you can't run the Blackjack 131 grain bullets due to lack of twist rate in those factory barrels. Shoot out your barrels and get a new custom barrel threaded on for the Blackjack bullets.

Word is to jump them at least .100 thousands and I've been advised even farther by great reloader friends that I don't even Question , never shoot them in my 25/06 as yet but have relloaded them in my 243 hvy bbl Savage but to hot of weather now , cheers

Word is to jump them at least .100 thousands and I've been advised even farther by great reloader friends that I don't even Question

This will of course depend on the design of the chamber and not just the advice of one shooter. Yes I know you trust him but the variables involved in chambers often makes the use of a fixed rule, useless. Test for seating depth after you achieve your accuracy through load development.:)

I bought some Barnes X-Bullets from Coni Brooks the first time they exhibited at S.H.O.T. Show. During that discussion, she did state quite clearly that I should start seating these bullets at 0.050" off the lands. I think I ended up at 0.065" off the lands for a final load and OAL.

I've been ignoring the E-Tips for a while now but I'll see if I can find some time for testing this year sometime.:rolleyes:

Point well taken thks ,actually it was two very Fine Reloaders ,Hunters and Shooters ,one was found thrugh reading and research and he went to Africa and proved his E-tip reloads and helped many reloaders jump the learning curve , Second also found by reading and then corresponding with him and we're respectfully friends and he's a gunsmith also. Im just 40 yrs into reloading and I'm still learning as best as I can thks ,loaded many Barnes bullets and I'm a fan ,but that don't mean there's not Great other bullets out there ,coast mostly stops me from becoming a Entreprentuial reloader Lol .... I to have been lax on trying the E/tip ,but there's many smarter a cookies in my favorite forums ,Cheers !!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts