Nosler E Tip .30 bullet in M1A ???

Hey guys; any of you M1A shooters out there tired Nosler's .30 cal 168gr. E tip bullets in your rifles? I'm under the impression they shoot rather well in most .30 cal rifles, but do to them being none lead and a solid copper bullet, I have some reservations about shooting them in my M1A
Any thoughts or experience's with them?
Thanks

Haven't tried any myself, but they should do just fine in an M1A. I'd expect to see some difference in the reloading data due to the compressibility (or lack thereof) compared to a conventional lead-cored jacketed bullet, but that shouldn't be any surprise. Assuming these to be a bit longer than a conventional 168, but I doubt that you'll have any twist/stability issues with a standard 1x12" twist barrel.

The usual cautions apply about powder selection; nothing slower than 4895 or 4064, and stop at around 2,600 fps to roughly match M118/M852 specs.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Kevin
Thanks for the reply to the question. Like you I was concerned about the compressibility of the Nosler "E" bullet. And as I said; I had heard they were very accurate in other .308's. My M1A is a 1-11" twist NM barrel. It shoots the Sierra Mk 168gr. better then most my .308 bolt rifles, and my bolt guns are very accurate. As for the powder, nothing but IMR 4895 goes down the tube, at M852 specs. I just hope the rifle can hold its accuracy long enough to really enjoy it, without having to re-tune I to soon.. Here's a pic(s) M1A
Take care.

Last edited:
Glad to help! If you want another powder option, the Lake City M118LR has been loaded with RE-15 since ATK took over operation of the plant some years back, and it's another very good choice. Olin had the bid prior to this, and they used WC-750 for the stuff they loaded. Another good choice, but unlike the RE-15, it's a non-cannister grade powder, and you won't find it at your local gun shops. Still, you can never go wrong with good ol' 4895, can you?

Earned about half my points towards my Distinguished badge with the M14 before finishing them off with an AR. Still have a soft spot for the 14, though!

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Kevin,
Clearly I had a massive "neural feces attack" I meant to say; "M852" not M118LR. However with that said; I do shoot the M118LR load data in my TAC rifles... And yes'…, I use RL15 with a 175gr Sierra Mk. When Rl-15 first hit the stores I went to it for my .308 TAC/ M118LR loads with 175gr'res and I've never looked back, I'm very happy with it.
Good information on the other powder options, thank you.
So…. working on your distinguished badge, good luck on that. Yes Sir; if you're an older service match shooter or former operator that spent time with the M14, M21, or M1A, you've got to a "sweet spot" for the M14 rifle and as a platform.
I'll edit my post, so I don't draw someone else in on the "NFA" moment.
Take care.
Rick
PS and thanks again for being kind on the reply..... :D

Last edited:
No problem at all, and I do tend to use M852/M118LR somewhat interchangably, since I was around for both at various times. The M21 was my "issue rifle" for about three years of my army time, and I used the straight NM M14 for several others on various (5th Army, 101st MTU) rifle teams. I finished up my Distinguished Rifleman badge, and President's Hundred quite some time back (with the black rifle), but am still shooting Service Rifle. Hard-headedness is a hallmark of any real Service Rifle shooter. Getting ready for Perry in another couple weeks, and yeah, still shooting Service Rifle.

The RE-15 will work with both the 168 and the 175, but technically, I guess it was never used for the M852. As I recall, ATK had taken over the operation after the M118LR had superseeded both the M118 Special Ball and the 168 grain interim M852. An interesting, if somewhat convoluted history. As far as the powder choice went, yeah, when Remington ran the plant (and owned IMR), they found that IMR4895 powder was the best available for this load. When Olin took over, surprise (!), they found that WC-750 ws vastly superior. And again, when ATK took over, lo and behold, I was shocked (Shocked!) to learn that they'd doscovered that Alliant's (which they own) RE-15 was the best . . . go figure.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Kevin,
Well good luck at Perry, check the wind twice, no three, four, no five times and hold the water line... :)
As for the "powder arms race" between the manufactures; your right, it all about who's in the drivers seat as to what's performing best most. Kinda like selling hunting rifle and scopes off the rack during hunting season, what ever left on the rack is the best, if you ask?

I also did some shooting with the M21 while in swat in the 70' & 80's we had one built by a gentlemen named Don Manning who you may have ran into at Perry, both him and his wife Jan shot for the all guard team for many years.

I like you; I also had a chance to play with both the M21 and M14 while in the Army (MOS 00F/11B) the only problem I had with the M21 was that the Leatherwood scope ART II won't hold a tight zero. I called Jim and made a suggestion on the ballistic cam, by cutting a"v" in the base of the mount for the cam to set in, this would keep it from moving left or right; other wise we always had to tap it left or right (always the same direction each time) with our thumbs to get longer range accuracy out of it; at the same time hopping it didn't move. But that's another story. This one started out about the Nosler E bullet…. And since the plant had a major fire last month, it might be awhile before I see any anyway… kind of a moot point as they say now. :rolleyes:

Well again; thanks for all the good information
Take care,

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.