weatherby accumark in 257

I am very seriously considering the purchase of a weatherby accumark in 257 weatherby magnum for hunting long range woodchucks and deer in northwestern pennsylvania. What I am unsure of is the accuracy potential of the combination, I would like to hear from actual owners of weatherbys if this
combination is the real deal or if there is something better.

I really like mine. The 257 starts to shed energy and velocity fast past 500 yds. The bc's of most of the factory stuff leave alot to be desired for really long range work. I know there are several guys on here that have used them at extreme ranges, hopefully they chime in!

257 is a fun round, and the weatherby rifles are fairly well built IMO. Mines just a vanguard, but it shoot tight groups.

Last edited:
I have the Mk5 and the vanguard in 257 wby. Both shoot outstanding. My son hunts with the Mk5 and has shot 2" groups with it at 600 yards. I shot a four shot 7/8" group at a quarter mile with it. Yes they are extremely accurate rifles. It is not an extreme long range cartridge because of the poor BC's. But if your long range is out to 700 or so yards it is one of the best I know of for a flat shooting killing machine. We shoot 100 grain ttsx bullets at 3760 fps and it is a lazer to 600 or so yards. My son shot his antelope in 2009 right through the heart at 512 yards with the first mil dot at the bottom of the chest and crosshairs just over the back. That is flat shooting no clicks horsepower, just put the scope on it and kill it. If that is the kind of rifle you are looking for it is an excellent choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.