Dusted my Camera Off

Eaglet

Since I had not been taking pictures for a while now, I decided to dust it off and do some shooting.

4yiusfr.jpg

This panorama was created with three hand held photos. Can anybody tell where the stitching is?

6gmm7wn.jpg
6379l07.jpg

This photo is not bad considering I shot it hand held at 1/60th of a second using a focal length of 350mm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It was getting late with not much light, and I did not bring my tipod! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

OK! OK! I did use the VR (Vibration Reduction) in this camera... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LenBackus,

It's AdobePhotoshop CS. I'm a bit behind but it still
works! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The knewest is AdobePhotoshop CS3

Len,

I've never used that sofware before. Reading on their webpage sounds really good. I think I'll download their trial file and see. I know there's got to be a good reason for you to use it. Thanks!

Len,

I downloaded it, installed it and used the same three pics to test the program.

4xojh41.jpg

Hand held photos are tough to stitch properly because of the lack of levelness of the camera horizontaly 90º to the lens. In spite of that, Arcsoft Panoramamaker performed so much better that I was truly impressed. Thanks again!

The floor of the bridge is telling the whole story!!!

Hi Len. Have you ever tried PTGUI to stitch your pano's? It's my clear favorite.
This following pano is 12 total images, 4 columns x 3 rows and PTGUI stitched it perfectly, as it does everytime. The image isn't that great, as it was 1:00pm and the light was extremely harsh, but it does illustrate the stitching quality very well.

Web_pano_Tiff_2b.jpg

Here's a 100% crop showing the amount of detail in the image.

Web_pano_Tiff_2b_100.jpg

That looks very good. Hadn't heard of it. Another good choice to keep in mind.

VTi,

[ QUOTE ]
The image isn't that great, as it was 1:00pm and the light was extremely harsh,

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me what's wrong with me, the second I saw that image,
I liked it I whole lot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eaglet -- Thank you very much for the kind words about this image. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The composition isn't bad, it's just that at "high noon" or so, shadows are so harsh that the image is just way too "contrasty" and the colors aren't there. For photographers, magic hour is basically 1-2 hours after dawn and 1-2 hours before sunset. Thank you again, and congrats to you for taking some good steps learning to stitch pano's... not very difficult to do well, and can produce some awesome high res images hanging on the wall.

VTI, LEN,

I finally installed and ran PTGUI stitching program and I got me another surprise. My three hand held photos have proved to be tough to stitch; PTGUI definitely does a better job. I wished I had kept pictures of all three in its short comings to show them, I just never dreamed I'd be using three different applications. So far, for whatever is worth, PTGUI is wining. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eaglet - I'm glad you got around to trying PTGUI. Just to let you know that you can end you search now for stitching software. I've spent alot of time testing and researching what other serious photographers are using, and PTGUI is IT as far as stitching goes, end of story.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.