camera forum?

lovdasnow

wondering if you experts could recommend a good photography forum out

thanks for sharing your pics here! I will contribute soon hopefully

Great question, I have been meaning to address it.

The following two sites have enabled me to make huge improvements in my own photography. They both have good technical articles. But their main benefit comes from the Critique Forums. There you post your picture, including their technicals, and invite other members to give you constructive criticism. I check out both sites on a daily basis, learning so much from the comments there about dozens of great photos posted by others each day. Some of the very best nature photographers in the entire world post their photos there.

NatureScapes.net

The cover photo this month (Serengeti Morning) on the NatureScapes site was shot by an internet friend of mine. I ended up meeting him after a year of email exchanges, in person for the first time, on safari in Tanzania. It is such a small world we live in. I new he was going to be there when Jack and I were scheduled to be. I had never seen even a picture of what he looked like. But one morning we saw another safari vehicle with "big glass" sticking out all over, the first truck with serious photo equipment we had seen in over a week. We went over to say hello suspecting it would be Andy's group and sure enough it was.

NaturePhotographers.net

Both sites have extensive archives of past stories and articles. If you go back far enough you may even find a surprise. Look Here

Last edited:
thanks len, I was hoping you would chime in!

wow those leopard shots are amazing! those are great!

thanks again for those links, I'll start reading. jon

I've been reading over on naturescapes, first let me say, pretty much every picture I've looked at is amazing! BUT, man are they green! People posting petitions about keeping the wolves safe in Idaho, and how good coyotes are for the environment.
Great site other than that, I think I will keep my mouth shut, and enjoy the great pics.

Last edited:
Do as I do, stay out of the Environmental, whatever it's called sub-forum. Little of that attitude shows up elsewhere on the site.

I decided that as well, I went in there just for a bit, and had to come back over here for some reality.

Len, I know you shoot Nikon, but why did you decide that way over canon?

I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. I was looking pretty seriously at the d80(also the d200 sounds really good) to start with, but canon has some very nice ones also.

what would be your recommendations for a "good" starter camera that I can grow in my abilities with. I have a point and shoot nikon, and love it, so thats pretty much the only reason I was leaning toward Nikon. I have also shot the d40 a little bit, and liked it, but I would have liked any SLR.

how did your sunrise pictures from the right coast work out? I was reading some posts you made about it, but didn't see any pics?

thanks again, jon

Last edited:
jon

I started with Nikon many years ago with film. Canon is good, too. Others may spend hours debating one over the other. It doesn't really matter which brand you get. My second camera body is the D50 which is real similar to the D40. The D40 would be a good choice. A lot of it depends on how far you think you will eventually go in lens investment. If you are going to eventually have 5K to 10K in lenses, you may want to start with the D200 instead of the D40.

As for Cape Cod, I didn't get as much sunset stuff shot as I had hoped. Skies weren't all that great some of the evenings. Here is one from the trip.

178246683-M.jpg

thanks for the reply len. That shot looks great! I like the detail in the rocks, and the cloud cover. We are heading over to Washington DC at noon, and I wish i had a new camera.

But I have been reading at kenrockwell.com which has a lot of good info....i think. He talks about how a lot of people are gear heads, and don't know how to shoot good pics no matter what camera they have. So I will just take my little nikon point and shoot, and be happy for now.

Well here's another thing to throw in the mix. I've have a friend that has some $$, and he has a canon 1dmkIII, and some sweet lenses. this is a link to one of his 100-400 lenses that he would let me use. so now I'm thinking about canon, even though I like the Nikon selection better. www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=150&modelid=7344

he hardly ever uses it, so that might be cool. do you think that should persuade me to go with canon?

thanks again, jon

edited to ask: do you shoot macro much? I scuba dive, and most of my underwater pics are all macro. If you do, what lens do you use?

Last edited:
That is a good Canon lens. If your good friend shoots Canon and has a good attitude about lending his stuff, that could clinch your brand decision.

I have never shot underwater so don't know what to tell you there.

Post your most interesting photo from your DC trip.

first of all since the web site change, I'm not sure how to post pics so that they show up without clicking on the link, couldn't find the sticky. info would be appreciated, probably just spaced something obvious.

alright len, I'm shooting a 5yr old "point and shoot" so these are not great images by any means, but it's better then nothing.

I'm going to post more than one, so other people can see a few of the sites in DC, which I might add is an amazing place.

I guess this is one of them I like the most. It has a lot of noise in it because the ISO was set to high. oh well live and learn. I didn't have a tripod, just set timed shutter release and turned off the flash, so it was a 1sec exp time, but it also set the ISO to high automatically. I would like to learn how to make the sky stand out more also as there were some good clouds.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r254/lovdasnow/DSCN3194_1.jpg

here are some more random ones of DC with my wife.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r254/lovdasnow/DSCN3139_1_1.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r254/lovdasnow/1234.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r254/lovdasnow/DSCN3246_1.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r254/lovdasnow/DSCN3193_1.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r254/lovdasnow/114_1.jpg

i'll keep looking for how to fix these so they show up.
thanks, jon, can't wait for a DSLR!!!!

Last edited:
That's beautiful and it wouldn't make much difference what camera was used to take it.

As you know, most of what makes photo quality is not in the gear but in the head.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.