Camera choice?

lazylabs

I am thinking about getting a decent DSLR to start taking on scouting and hiking trips. I have researched cannon the most at this point but don't have my heart set on them. I would buy a 5DS and a couple nice lenses but don't want to be 5k into a setup before I know if I will really use it all the time. It seems like a bunch of the mid range stuff is hard to establish clear differences between for a beginner. So the rebel T6, 7D, 6D are probably in my price range... What are your recommendations?

Thanks!

what r u looking to do with your new camera i going to go with wildlife being u said take it on scouting n hikes????? i think the new 7D mark II is a top of the line starter/pro for a little more money to get a 7 D MII over a rebel you get so much more camera so once u learn a little bit on how to use the camera u will not fill like u need to upgrade. Trust me once u start hunting with a camera it is a lot of fun. first u can hunt year around and don't have to clean r pack out any game. The 7 DMII is a great wild life camera with 64 focus points an 10 frame per sec it is super fast!!!!!!!!!! it is a crop frame camera not a full frame like the 6d or 5 DS so you get a little more zoom out of your lenes. I just bought one for my son n he is just starting out. He got it before i did. i still need to get one for my self. If you are looking for a landscape camera then a full frame 6D maybe better. N if you want a nice compact a powershot sx 60 hs is really nice with 65x Optical Zoom n would be easy to carry. But if you are looking for a great DSLR camera you can't go wrong with the 7 D MII for the money 1159.00 body only at 42st photo.
I would also advise u to go to www.creativelive.com n look up john greengo's
The Photography Starter Kit for Beginners class n watch it over n over!! it will help u a lot and he also has a starter kit for alot of cameras that will help u understand your camera settings once u get one. really helps me out a lot. If you are looking for a great wildlife lens the sigma 150-600c @ around 1100 or the sport 1750.00 are the tamron 150-600 @ 1000.00 all three r great lenses the sigma sport 150-600S being the best of the 3 being weather sealed and built like a tank. Also a tamron 24-70 is a great lens for landscape and other close shots. If you got a 7D MII sigma 150-600 sport and the tamron 24-70 you have covered about 95% of your photos for around 3750.00 +/-. i have two sigma sports n we love them. We just spent 3 weeks in Jackson Hole,WY and Yellowstone taking pics and they worked great!!! I hope this helps and if i can help try n answer any ???? just pm me i'll do my best to help with what i know.
thanks jeff

Last edited:
It will be mostly wildlife with a bit of landscape thrown in.

Thanks for the instruction leads and lens advice. The larger lenses from cannon get expensive fast!

I realize I will be the weakest point for quite a while but as you say I don't want to feel like upgrading in a year.

It will be mostly wildlife with a bit of landscape thrown in.

Thanks for the instruction leads and lens advice. The larger lenses from cannon get expensive fast!

I realize I will be the weakest point for quite a while but as you say I don't want to feel like upgrading in a year.

I started this about 3 years ago my wife about 10 years ago and have rented the 600mm from canon and after having my sigma 150mm-600mm sport. i know now for sure i made the right choose. It's not a canon 600mm but it didn't cost 11,500.00. The 7d mii with the sigma150-600 n tamron 24-70 is a great package one other thing to think about is a great tripod. don't go cheap there. If you get this setup you will have a setup that will last u a long long time. best of luck to you

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.