Dumb Question - Co Elk

Well if we are going to make this political, you have to put blame where it belongs. Liberal are. Have been and will be the downfall of this nation. The reason the likes of Texas and Colorado problems stem for California liberals moving in and creating what they left. Liberals prove they can't be reasoned with or learn from their mistakes. They just move to an area unaffected by them and destroy it like the place they ran from. It's like crapping in your house then complaining about the mess.....

Sorry for the rant, but this has been chipping away at place I was born and raised. I am on the verge of selling land and moving further out. I was at on time 15 minutes from the nearest town.....now it's at my door.

It's never been a problem to CO residents, for decades. You can't blame the system for a cattle-like mass exodus! The extra $50 to just get a point for sheep, moose and goat is a complete ripoff and smacks of Cali/Tex influence. So far, the CPW (who took over CDOW) experiment in CO, is a failure.

Back to the OP, yes, you have many good options between leftovers and OTC, particularly if you can do the later hunts.

When I first moved to Co 1977 it was both. When they split it was over
Pittman-Robertson money. I'm not post about exodus and if you don't think add new resident doesn'r increase resident draw so be it.

Well if we are going to make this political, you have to put blame where it belongs. Liberal are. Have been and will be the downfall of this nation. The reason the likes of Texas and Colorado problems stem for California liberals moving in and creating what they left. Liberals prove they can't be reasoned with or learn from their mistakes. They just move to an area unaffected by them and destroy it like the place they ran from. It's like crapping in your house then complaining about the mess.....

Sorry for the rant, but this has been chipping away at place I was born and raised. I am on the verge of selling land and moving further out. I was at on time 15 minutes from the nearest town.....now it's at my door.
I agree that is a plan that the left is using to gain power they go out to the counties now a promote the local government Liberals and Sheriffs and a spend money electing them and winning there increases their power.

Scschnur, you are so right. The country that I live in has turned blue as if the last elections. The while place is going to hell. The west coast invasion has done us in. Property taxes have tripled of the past 10 years and spending is up over 200%. Now animals have more rights than I do and dont even get me started on the illegals we fund. As much as I dont like the cold.....Montana is looking good!

Otc archery has 2 tags, antlerless and antlered/either sex-- here are the valid gmu's for those 2 tags
20190329_141054.jpg
20190329_141044.jpg

K-- for your up coming rifle hunt for bull elk unit 43 and 521 both fall under the unit 41 tag

stats for 2018 non-res bull tags
unit #41 1st season: 445 non-res tags last year 368@ 0pts, 54@1, 14@2, 13@3
unit#41 4th season: 18 non-res tags--17@ 0pts, 1@3
unit#53 1st: 111 non-res tags--90@ 0pts and 15@1
unit#53 4th: 6 tags, all @ 0pts
unit#54 1st: 112 tags, 92@0, 11@1, 9@ 2 and above
#54 4th: 11 tags all 0 pts
#55 1st: 95 tags --29@0, 37@1, 15@2, 14@ 3 or above
#55- no 4th bull

20190329_143450.jpg
also remember that OTC bull are available for both 2nd and 3rd season OTC with no pts for rifle in a lot of the units W of I-25

In my area the middle of unit 74 had a massive burn last spring/summer. I forgot the actual count but was many thousands of acres. I saw new vegetation coming up last fall from rain. This new vegetation should be a magnet to game for years to come. Any place that has had a recent fire should be considered. Also note that Forest Service has closed the road into this burned area for the coming season. But there is easy access into the upper area of 74 which would allow you come down to edge of the burned area. I know I will be there!!!!

Looking at the GMU Map I am guessing maybe 55, 54, 53, 43, 521

You can get on this site and pull draw result also harvest report.

https://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/Statistics.aspx
I normally check both as mention about unit 41, it's total of 5 unit and first bull appr 1000 tags and only 55 bull killed. 4th season 145 hunters, 33 bulls killed. That doesn't include cow tags same season and one of the units you list 521 is include unit 41.

1ST and 4th are only 5 days. If your planning on hunt 5yrs out, look at both each year.

You can get on this site and pull draw result also harvest report.

https://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/Statistics.aspx
I normally check both as mention about unit 41, it's total of 5 unit and first bull appr 1000 tags and only 55 bull killed. 4th season 145 hunters, 33 bulls killed. That doesn't include cow tags same season and one of the units you list 521 is include unit 41.

1ST and 4th are only 5 days. If your planning on hunt 5yrs out, look at both each year.

Thank you...Great point about the 4th season

Be aware the 4th season can have light to heavy snow & very cold. Every year can be different. For some this can be an issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.