Dumb Question - Co Elk

GA Sheephunter

If I bought a preference point for elk in CO, can I still buy an OTC/Leftover tag in August, or can you not hunt elk at all if you bought a pref pt?

Like others said, yes you can still but a tag. You can also look and see about how many preference points you will need for different units. Just know it keeps going up. Point creep sucks! You see a unit that will take 7 points, but bit the time you get 7 points it will probably take 9 or 10.

If I bought a preference point for elk in CO, can I still buy an OTC/Leftover tag in August, or can you not hunt elk at all if you bought a pref pt?

You can buy OTC or leftover tag. Some of the better elk units here in Co may require more than 20pt for non resident. Non resident get % of the tag on first choice and depending on how may 1st choice apply, not all non resident will draw tag. You may had 10 non resident same points but only 5 tags for non resident and it happens to resident. I was one of 7 resident and only 3 tags and I didn't draw. You can get on DOW site and they have draw results on each game unit and give you break down.

You be lot better if you apply for the draw and pick unit you know you won't draw. You could draw on one of the 3 choices with no points needed or the leftover draw.

Point creep would have been horrible if they kept the apply/pts fee at only $3 like last year

I'm not really sure that going to help. We gained over 500K new resident from 2010 to 2017 and they say it going to be between 10k/13k each year. It be interesting to see result from this years draw.

Point creep would have been horrible if they kept the apply/pts fee at only $3 like last year

It's never been a problem to CO residents, for decades. You can't blame the system for a cattle-like mass exodus! The extra $50 to just get a point for sheep, moose and goat is a complete ripoff and smacks of Cali/Tex influence. So far, the CPW (who took over CDOW) experiment in CO, is a failure.

Back to the OP, yes, you have many good options between leftovers and OTC, particularly if you can do the later hunts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well....
As to lying Hillary......"do you mean with a clothe"......well..i guess it got her off with Comey the lying FBI'r.......

Since you added it here vs The Politics of Hunting, I'll go ahead and respectfully add that many Americans refuse to follow any liar... the ones you mention or the Wh_re Banging Liar In Chief. I know it's surprising to hear, when all we hear from is the L and R extremes. I can guarantee that our greatest generations weren't such liars.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.