Does it ever get annoying

muleyman

So maybe I'm a little sensitive or I'm just thinking too much of it, but does it ever annoy any of you guys this recent behavior of hording supplies. Now I've always been the type of person that would buy a little here, a little there and always seemed to have what I considered plenty of stock on hand. Lately it seems because of one thing or another, no one can just buy a few. Since the Obama election, with everyone buying up anything to do with reloading, (seems they buy things they don't even reload for) it takes an act of congress to find powder, primers or whatever. Now it seems since the Nosler Plant mishap, everyone went out and bought whatever Nosler product they could in whatever quantity. So now to even find bullets or brass is a joke. Anyway, just venting and I guess the issue is when I want to replace a little here and there it always seems to fall on these rushes. Maybe I should join the bandwagon as well. Oh well, hope all are well and shooting straight...........

I'm not bothered that people are buying in bulk/hoarding things that are very likely to go up in value. What really bothers me is that they seem to refuse to allow the prices to float with supply and demand. My local supply place has been limiting sales to 200 primers and 2 pounds of powder per person. If the idiots would simply raise the price to what the market will bear and allow the free market to work its magic hoarding wouldn't be an issue.

I bought 3 boxes of 140gr NAB's the day the news of Nosler broke, for my 270wsm because I have taken a long time to develop my current load with them. I have at least 1 1/2 -2 lbs of each powder for what I load with. Im not a hoarder, but I see it as more of a savings account. I could burn thru all of it quite quickly, but I can make some last if I need to, incase of a shortage of supplies. The 1 thing I didnt have enough of is Fed 215 primers. My fault for not buying enough of them when I had a chance.
Ya it sucks, but thats why I have my ''savings account'' stash of supplies instead of using a pound of powder up, and having to swich to what I can find when I run out.
I wish I had two 8lb juggs of each powder and 500+ bullets for each cartrige I load for plus the primers. But I dont. So I make what I have last (again like a savings acct) untill I see some more available, and happen to have $ all at the same time.... wich isnt very often. Slim pickens, to me, means get what you need while its available. Not hoarding, but what you need and will use.
The ''scalpers'' that cleared the shelves of everything with a Nosler brand on it in order to mark up and re-sell them kinda upset me. But whadda ya do? They had the $ to do it. And I cant tell people how to spend thier $. nor can I enforce manners or etiquite. So I figure it comes back to me, and my decision to buy what I could when I could or not. Only time will tell if I made the right choice.

Last edited:
If I find a bullet I like for hunting I will try to buy enough to burn out the barrel so I do not have to change loads. With powder, I just try to have enough to not have to get into a crises mode. Last year I was down to less than one F-class match of Varget and was really desperate and only had enough Fed 215s for hunting season. I started searching and wound up driving nearly 100 miles to get some of both.

There is only one place that I know of in a 100 mile radius that has Rl17.

I bought 3 boxes of 140gr NAB's the day the news of Nosler broke, for my 270wsm because I have taken a long time to develop my current load with them. I have at least 1 1/2 -2 lbs of each powder for what I load with. Im not a hoarder, but I see it as more of a savings account. I could burn thru all of it quite quickly, but I can make some last if I need to, incase of a shortage of supplies. The 1 thing I didnt have enough of is Fed 215 primers. My fault for not buying enough of them when I had a chance.
Ya it sucks, but thats why I have my ''savings account'' stash of supplies instead of using a pound of powder up, and having to swich to what I can find when I run out.
I wish I had two 8lb juggs of each powder and 500+ bullets for each cartrige I load for plus the primers. But I dont. So I make what I have last (again like a savings acct) untill I see some more available, and happen to have $ all at the same time.... wich isnt very often. Slim pickens, to me, means get what you need while its available. Not hoarding, but what you need and will use.
The ''scalpers'' that cleared the shelves of everything with a Nosler brand on it in order to mark up and re-sell them kinda upset me. But whadda ya do? They had the $ to do it. And I cant tell people how to spend thier $. nor can I enforce manners or etiquite. So I figure it comes back to me, and my decision to buy what I could when I could or not. Only time will tell if I made the right choice.

I ran out and got BRASS and bullets.

It dosent bother me as I consider it being prepared. I also think its over. If you are looking for something please let me see if I can help you find it.

Jon

It seems to me that the hoarding is over and now dealers have good quantities on their shelves.
Powder can be found at $22 a pound and primers $36 per K if you shop around.
Metal prices are still high and that is reflected in high shot and bullet prices as well as new brass.
Even Walmart now has 22lr bullets and 380 acp

Ya just got to venting as I went to replace a few boxes of bullets to keep my supply up that I had on hand and some primers. The local sportsman's warehouse had just about nothing on the shelves. You guys were right as far as supply catching up as it was getting easier to find things. Myself, I have what I consider plenty, I'm the type of guy that buys a box or two to replace what I use as well as keep up my stash. I only needed a few primers to try during a load development to see if they shrunk my groups down. I was more talking about the people that bought everything involved with reloading and ammo to hold onto to make a profit later....... Oh well it'll blow over.

muleyman, it's ok to rant sometimes you just got to get it out of your system. Hoarding to me is when I hear folks going out and buying 5-10K primers and as much of everything they can get their hands on. Having said that if someone's livelyhood is tied to a high amount of shooting then that could be another matter and make more sense. As they say...it is what it is and we make the best of it.

I've come to know some of the LRH members here such as those who posted previously to this thread who are always willing to help and or respond and consider them and others such as winmag my friend and all I know is if I had a high amount of supplies and one of them needed something for a match or upcoming important hunt I'd probably give them at least enough to see them through their match or hunt. That's what I do for friends who live close to me and so my friends here would be no different except the distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.