Annoying pop up ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah they are bad. It might kill the forums if they keep it up. There's 2 types. The one in between comments is still there but the really bad one at the bottom of the phone screen went away when I logged in. Idk if it will stay that way or not.

Download and install Adaware on your browser. It is likely that it will require add-on activation in the settings options in the browser.

I am an IT pro in systems administration and networking and I can tell you that it all has to do with the browser and the tracking cookies. Google Chrome, while being a fantastic browser, allows absolutely the MOST tracking cookies with websites. What this means is that your traffic is being cached and monitored and then displays ads based on what you frequently browse. There are obviously ways around this but as some have mentioned here (I only read the first two posts) is for you to delete your history and cookies, and install an AdBlocker extension for the browser you are using. On iOS/Android there are apps which perform this same function. Good luck!

I am an IT pro in systems administration and networking and I can tell you that it all has to do with the browser and the tracking cookies. Google Chrome, while being a fantastic browser, allows absolutely the MOST tracking cookies with websites. What this means is that your traffic is being cached and monitored and then displays ads based on what you frequently browse. There are obviously ways around this but as some have mentioned here (I only read the first two posts) is for you to delete your history and cookies, and install an AdBlocker extension for the browser you are using. On iOS/Android there are apps which perform this same function. Good luck!
You may be correct, however this happened a couple of times earlier this year and people complained. Problem was solved. I never had to install anything on my iPad, so I believe it is something within the site. Hope an Admin or Len responds to the issue and informa us either it is on their end or ours. Thanks!

It's the online version of telemarketers.
When it a sudden onslaught of ads for everybody, I can't believe that it's anything but the forum that has been changed.

I'd just like to say that we've been asked to "support" the forum for a very long time. I don't work for the forum or anything like that. I'd like to suggest that if more people would donate $20 and stop complaining or threatening to go to another forum or not log on the ads will probably go away. I don't blame administration for seeking other means to keep the forum going if no one wants to support it. I'm not rich by any means, $20 isn't going to kill me!! I spent more than that on gun magazine subscriptions and don't get anything but something to read in the John!! I get more information from the forum than any other place, $20 is a true bargain !!

Dear Len,
PLEASE keep these annoying and non-hunting related ads to at LEAST the margins.

And please use only hunting/outdor related ads.

Eric B.

Hi all - We are working on the issue for some of the ads that are being shown such as dashboard ads.

However if you use an ad blocker, as others mentioned the site might not work properly, and to avoid the ads you can become a part of the LRH team for $20 a year.
https://www.longrangehunting.com/account/upgrades

We work hard to keep the site up and running, and will continue to do so. We would love to have zero ads, but the only way to do that is with a premium membership.

Braun,

You are correct in what you state about cookies, etc., but there are settings the site administrator can tweak which affect the frequency, location, and duration of the ads. I suspect one of these is out of whack.

I don't mind an ad here and there....for most of us the site is free and revenue needs to be generated somehow. That being said, the current onslaught is pretty bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.