Does anyone not long range hunt/shoot?

Derek M.

I'm just curious about this. I know what the site is all about but does anyone have a more common firearm that they use in different parts of the country (or world for that matter), where shots are inside of a couple hundred yards, or even 300?

I've got a few "long range" rifles: 270 AM, 300 RUM, and 7mm Rem Mag, and I guess the 6.5x284 would be considered one also. However, I also use a regular 308, 270, 30.06, and muzzleloader all the time too, which I'm guessing are not really considered to be long range calibers.

I wouldn't consider toting my AM or RUM when I'm hunting in MO, and 2 of the properties in KY as shots are mostly inside of 200 yards. I also have no need for them in SC, TN, or AL when I hunt there.

Being in Ohio, I rely on drawing tags when hunting out west, or the occasional landowner tag, where I'm inclined to bring one of the long range cals. If you live out west and hunt mostly out there, do you always carry your long range rifle? Do you ever hunt where close encounters are somewhat common?

I frequently hunt in a woodland environment where shots do not exceed 200yds and are often quite a bit less.

I enjoy shooting any one of my short(er) range rifles, handguns or bows:

Ruger Deerfield - 44mag
T/C Encore - 45/70
T/C 209x50 - 50cal ML
Tikka - 7mm-08
Lawton custom - .308
Rem 7 custom - .221FB
Ruger SRH - 454 Casull

Not including shotguns & rimfires, 17cal to 10ga :>)

The majority of my deer hunting is done with shots under 100yds ,

I do purposely setup some foodplot and crossing where the shot will be farther , I do this for several reasons , one is to keep other hunters off my stands and another is to keep pressure off the deer

Here in Idaho, I carry a custom .30-06 AI as my primary hunting rifle. Most of my shots range from 200-500yds. I hunt where there are frequently high winds with lots of gusts, so I generally try to keep it fairly close.

The terrain is a large factor, and ridge to ridge shooting is common, with draws running between them but the yardages are ganerally less tha that 500yd mark. There is the occasion where a longer shot could be possible, but I need more practice for that.

Dan

most of my deer hunting is done with a compound bow,.257 roberts,25-06 rem,30-06,custom 54 caliber flintlock muzzloader. mostly all under 100 yards from a climbing treestand. here in pa we hunt 1st two days of rifle season from treestands then long range hunt.

Muzzle loading season ended yesterday. Scopes are legal in Md. I went hunting twice and had five different shots at does of which the longest was 80 yards. I simply could not find any enjoyment in pulling the trigger at those ranges. I had a good time walking around with a gun and being out in the woods and that was enough for me on those days.

Here in Indiana, for deer it's either shotgun, handgun, muzzleloader or bow. Some rifles are allowed, but they are strict on cartridge dimensions - .357" bullet dia. or larger, brass has to be between 1.16" and 1.625" long.

Now, in a handgun, any cartridge is legal. Go figure.

So, it's basically a short range game.

In Wi. for deer I hunt the Big Woods in Northern Wi. If you can see a deer 200 Yds away you're lucky. Most shots are under 150 Yds.

Almost all of my hunting success has been done inside 100 yards. I hunt with a 243 or a 280 rem most of the time. I have 300 RUM and a few 375H&H's. Guns are fun. When I hunt I usually bring a 280 Rem.

I hope so have the opportunity to shoot longer distances out west this next season.

My longest shot to date is 175feet mabe.. My best season is bow and im looking for 10yrd or closser for next season. The reason y whant a long shot rig is incase of and that y have found a place to practice. Long shoting and hunting is a taste you develop and it easyer to bring the big one at 300yrs then at 10. Guest what y like bow hunting....:)

Most of my kills are inside 200y since I do a lot of spotlighting and culling of vermin. Sometimes i take my .308 and range finder and sit off before dark where i know animals come out then once it's too dark to see through the scope i hook up the spotlight and switch over to the .223.

I set out one time on a long range hunt. It was to get a prairie dog past 2000 yards one weekend, failed but had a fun time trying. Other wise I hunt with the intention of filling a tag! Long range is something I practice for if the opportunity arises....I don't back up a few hundred yards just to make it interesting.
Last year I shot two doe antelope with an old 6.5x55 Swede with open sights @ 200 and 250 yards....I couldn't get any closer or I would have! Got my mulie last year @ 150yards but I was setup to go as far as 800.
This year I used the 6.5-284 and felt comfortable shooting a goat @ 453 and Mulie @ 619 but they would have been just as dead @ 50 yards. Got a whitetail with the Super Red Hawk in 454 Casull last fall just inside of 100 yards, it was just as rewarding as any of the others

Whenver I have a woodlot/ swamp hunt I bring my 20" barreled 308 win. No need for the 30" barrelled 338 Lapua Improved when the shots are 400 or less.

I hunt every way I can! Bowhunting I find the most exciting. I've done a little hunting with a revolver and would love to do more. While I hunt every year with a muzzleloader, I can't seem to generate a lot of excitement about it.

I nearly always have two rifles in my truck. Most of the places I hunt a long shot will be possible during a days hunt. It is rare I leave the big rig behind. And yes, I've jump shot deer and elk in the dark timber with it.

I'll hunt however the conditions dictate. My favorites are calling elk with a bow,predator calling, and long range rifle ambush.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.