Does anyone not long range hunt/shoot?

there is no better calibre than the 300 win mag from 10 feet to 500 yards with a 180 grain bullet at 3100 fps. it just gets the job done, on anything. you pick the bullet, it doesnt matter. bang , thud. get the knives. if you can see it, you can hit it. i may be slighty biased, 35 years in yukon gives me a very narrow point of view. after all , this is the center of the universe. isn't it??

there is no better calibre than the 300 win mag from 10 feet to 500 yards with a 180 grain bullet at 3100 fps. it just gets the job done, on anything. you pick the bullet, it doesnt matter. bang , thud. get the knives. if you can see it, you can hit it. i may be slighty biased, 35 years in yukon gives me a very narrow point of view. after all , this is the center of the universe. isn't it??

Agreed. When Len started his poll about having just one rifle, I picked the 300WM, but 7mag would nudge it a bit.

I'm just curious about this. I know what the site is all about but does anyone have a more common firearm that they use in different parts of the country (or world for that matter), where shots are inside of a couple hundred yards, or even 300?

I've got a few "long range" rifles: 270 AM, 300 RUM, and 7mm Rem Mag, and I guess the 6.5x284 would be considered one also. However, I also use a regular 308, 270, 30.06, and muzzleloader all the time too, which I'm guessing are not really considered to be long range calibers.

I wouldn't consider toting my AM or RUM when I'm hunting in MO, and 2 of the properties in KY as shots are mostly inside of 200 yards. I also have no need for them in SC, TN, or AL when I hunt there.

Being in Ohio, I rely on drawing tags when hunting out west, or the occasional landowner tag, where I'm inclined to bring one of the long range cals. If you live out west and hunt mostly out there, do you always carry your long range rifle? Do you ever hunt where close encounters are somewhat common?

Derek

I think most of these guys will shoot at any distance if the game they want presents it self
and have rifles to match shooting conditions.

The main reason for being able to shoot long distance is so that if a longer shot presents
it self one is not limited by range.

It is not for bragging rights that long shots are made but because rather than pass up a
once in a lifetime trophy they are capable and prepaired for just such an event.

A long shot is determined by the abilities of the shooter and his equiptment. ( A 200yrd
shot on a turkeys head could be considerd a long shot )

So allways go prepaired for the longest shot possible with the terrain and use the best
weapon for the job.

Just a thought
J E CUSTOM

I enjoy taking my 45-70 and 45-120 hunting. I keep shots at 300 or under for the 45-70. The 45-120 is pretty much only shootable from offhand, so I have not had a good shot at a deer, I want the shot to be under 100 yards so I know I can put in a good shot.

I've used a ruger #1 in 300 wm for elk in montana everywhere. Shortest kill was 40 yds longest was 738. most are between 3-400 yds. I hunt all over the state. Thick timber to open prairie. The #1 is a nice short rifle but still has the 26" barrel when I need it for longer shots.

Here in Indiana, for deer it's either shotgun, handgun, muzzleloader or bow. Some rifles are allowed, but they are strict on cartridge dimensions - .357" bullet dia. or larger, brass has to be between 1.16" and 1.625" long.

Now, in a handgun, any cartridge is legal. Go figure.

So, it's basically a short range game.

In Wi. for deer I hunt the Big Woods in Northern Wi. If you can see a deer 200 Yds away you're lucky. Most shots are under 150 Yds.
Gray Bottoms Mt. vernon IN every single one was less then 20 yds.

deepandsilence

I took three deer this season with my 700P in 7mmRM. A young doe, 100yd head shot, an older doe, 50yd neck shot and a 6-pt buck, 100yd running broadside chest shot. No trophies, just meat deer. JohnnyK.

I actually hunt alot with a S&W 500,mostly deer and varmints.Last year I shot 7 groundhogs and 1 coyote with it.I know it's overkill for varmints,but i love the challenge.The S&W is very accurate out to 200+ yards.

When I hunt out West where shots can be extreme I use rifles/scopes capable of making such shots. 300 RUM and soon a 338 Edge

When I hunt in my home state of MS or other heavily wooded areas; I usually use either my T/C Contender w/a SSK Industries, 15" custom fluted barrel chambered in 375 JDJ or my Uberti 1885 single shot 45-70. Both are extremely accurate big bores.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.