Does anyone hunt with a Sierra Matchking Bullet?

I wouldn't use them. I shot three deer with 180 grain SMK out of a .308 win. It penciled right through them. 200-300 yard tracking jobs in thick SE woods is no fun. Do not recommend.

I have a buddy of mine that helps a lot of people, especially youth on their deer hunts around here. He had me build him a rifle that would be easy on recoil and still pack plenty of punch at long range for deer. We settled on the .260 for the cartridge and built it on a Ruger M77 MKII action. That particular rifle loved the 142 Match kings. I mean one round little hole five shot groups at 100 yards. He decided he would try it on game since it shot so well. Fast forward a couple years and that rifle has taken more than 20 deer out to some pretty incredible ranges. There hasn't been a deer yet that has walked away from one and very few that even took a step. I am a believer in them, especially with longer range shots. They perform very similar to a Berger in terminal performance.

I realize that this is a possibility of needling through I was just thinking that out of a larger bullet diameter / cartridge like say a 375 H&H that this would be less of a concern because it would still be a .375 caliber hole. But I may be mistaken.

375rifleman

Stomp44, maybe you can answer or someone else can, how come there are mixed results? Either they explode and are awesome or suck. Remington Corlokts are always solid performers, but don't print tiny little groups like the SMKs. My .308 would put 5 shots touching every single time at 100 yards, but 3 failures on 3 separate deer means I will no longer be using them.

Sorry not to discredit you. I totally believe you and them being devastating, but it's 50/50 with performance.

Whisper,
I have not had good luck on game (at all) with SMK's of caliber under .338, I have had nothing but GREAT performance with the 300's and a buddy of mine uses the 250's and swears by those. I have some 350 grainers loaded to 2850 fps (fire forming loads) in my Snipetac, may have to test them for myself on a deer.

There are mixed results with every bullet ever made. Unfortunately, there is no 100% guarantee when it comes to killing animals. I dont't care what cartridge, what caliber or what bullet. Something has walked away from it. It just happens and all we can do is strive to make the best shot possible. Bottom line is if we punch a hole where we are supposed to they are not going far.

There are mixed results with every bullet ever made. Unfortunately, there is no 100% guarantee when it comes to killing animals. I dont't care what cartridge, what caliber or what bullet. Something has walked away from it. It just happens and all we can do is strive to make the best shot possible. Bottom line is if we punch a hole where we are supposed to they are not going far.

Yeah that's a great point. I've seen FMJs level deer and hogs. Wouldn't be my first choice but it worked.

Quartering away at 335 yards. 250SMK at 3000fps out of my .340wby. He didn't go anywhere. Hit a little whitey buck last day of season last year from 725yds same load, stuck him in the crease and watched him run about 50yds and tip over. .338 hole in,through the lungs and .338 out. My thought was that if a bullet pencils, I'm glad it was a big bullet!
IMG_0788.JPG

mixed results with me too, some bullets are great and some not so great. I tried several bullets and several calibers. Not worth it to me
I personally QUIT using them.

Had the same results of 50/50 with Sierra MK. Mostly .308 150s & 168s. Some really come apart and kill like lightening has struck and others pencil through and deer run for ever.

Oddly enough most SMKs stories I hear that don't perform well seem to be the .308s. My guess is the slower velocity. Like what stomp has said every bullet can defect! I know one hunter who has shot lots of animals with different size rifles with Bergers and not one animal goes more then 10 feet, and I have another friend who has lost 2 animals with bergers and said they pencil through. But since he didn't recover the animal we don't know.

Remington corelokts have never failed me. They just aren't very accurate and that annoys me. We need to blend corelokts with SMKs. Lol

SMKs always print itty bitty groups for me so I'm always attracted to them. They are like a vice.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts