Does anyone here ever use a bore plug?

KQguy

I saw these advertised from Sinclaire's,they are a plug you put in the end of the bore so you can fill the barrel full of solvent to let it soak overnight (or however long you want to soak it).It seems like a good way to let the solvents to more of the work.Just curious if anyone ever cleans their barrel this way?

You go through alot of solvent that way because you have to completely fill the bore to get the whole barrel, and if you're using a foam like wipeout, you'll have to periodically re-fill the bore. Personally if I want to get a good soak I just make sure the rifle is level in the vice and put a patch over the chamber end of the bore guide and alternate between the rifle being right-side-up and upside down every hour or two. You can also run a brush through once every time you flip just to make sure you're covering the length of the bore.

I use wipeout (great product). When I do it, I roll up a sheet of paper towel and plug the chamber end up, spray the foam through the muzzle, and put a foam ear plug in to cap off that end. Works great for me and don't see a need to spend more money for that. As for filling a solvent in, you could and like it is already posted, go through alot of solvent filling the barrel. You probably won't be able to reuse it if it's to dirty. Give wipeout a try. I was skeptical at first, saw a can at the gun show and bought. Cleaned my barrel out real good like I normally do, put the wipeout in, let it sit for 3-4 hours, ran a patch through and I still had copper in there even though my patches came out clean with my copper solvent.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.