Bore sighting

I have seen this fail with rifles, not the lazer, it's actually tracking your scope to the dot on the wall, and the distance is under 20 feet, closer to 15 ft on a garage door.
If you think you are getting on paper at 100 in this scenario, your paper best be 4' high and aiming at the bottom of it.

I have no need, or use for a laser in a rifle, this crap is actually pretty simple.
Now I will adjust pistol sights using a laser, but if I was actually any good with a pistol, it wouldn't be a useful option,
Just having a tool is not enough, knowing how to use it is also necessary. About 25 yards is normally as close as I go but I sometimes go to 50 yards. I've never had a problem getting on paper.

I am sure laser sighters work good if used properly. When I have used mine it is at 14 yards in my basement. That is not long enough distance. The only time that I use it is when I can not get to the range due to weather. If I am at the range I can look down the bore just as easy. So mine will just sit in a drawer for now.

The absolute best thing I've ever found is a yellow diamond shape street sign at 50 yards or so, I actually bought one after seeing how well it worked but now I don't have a place to set one up in my yard far enough away. It's extremely easy to center one up inside the bore with the 4 points oriented top, bottom, left and right. If you've got a good reticle with has marks it does the same thing for centering it up nearly perfectly. It's so consistent that in a pinch I would trust a rifle bore sighted this way for making a hit on game to 300 yards or so. It will get you within .3mil or so on paper.
Why couldn't you make a smaller version of the sign. And use it at a closer range to get the same effect ? Should work the same based on distance to size. To an extent.

I am sure laser sighters work good if used properly. When I have used mine it is at 14 yards in my basement. That is not long enough distance. The only time that I use it is when I can not get to the range due to weather. If I am at the range I can look down the bore just as easy. So mine will just sit in a drawer for now.
The simple adjustment for the closer distance when I use it indoors is to have the laser dot about 1.75 inches below the crosshairs and aligned dead on left right. That will put you on at 25, about 3 high at 100 and back on about 225 with most cartridges.

I am one who has used a lazer bore sighter on my 2 hunting rifles. One is a Model 721 Remington .270 and the other is a Savage 110 Hunter .223 that I purchased from a member here about a year or so ago.
Both have been fitted with new scopes and the way I did it was insert the bore scope, center the dot on a target about 30 feet in front of me. Then I adjusted the scope to about 2" above the dot on the target to compensate for the height of the center of the scope above the center of my barrel.

Took the rifles to the range and both shot 1st shot about 2 " high at 100 yds, but centered above the bull. Adjusted the scopes to the first shot and was good.

Before that I had used the through the bore method and I took a trip to the range and the range master giving me some pointers on viewing it that way.
the key for me was getting straight behind the bore, not just moving my head to look.
Mike

I am one who has used a lazer bore sighter on my 2 hunting rifles. One is a Model 721 Remington .270 and the other is a Savage 110 Hunter .223 that I purchased from a member here about a year or so ago.
Both have been fitted with new scopes and the way I did it was insert the bore scope, center the dot on a target about 30 feet in front of me. Then I adjusted the scope to about 2" above the dot on the target to compensate for the height of the center of the scope above the center of my barrel.

Took the rifles to the range and both shot 1st shot about 2 " high at 100 yds, but centered above the bull. Adjusted the scopes to the first shot and was good.

Before that I had used the through the bore method and I took a trip to the range and the range master giving me some pointers on viewing it that way.
the key for me was getting straight behind the bore, not just moving my head to look.
Mike
One thing I didn't mention. The bore sighter I have are in the form of a cartridge that fits, like a round, into the receiver and ejects with the bolt. Does not plug up the barrel. Another round cannot be chambered on top of it.
Mike

Last edited:
I didn't read every post so I don't know if this was tried by someone else but I found this trick by luck after a long work day!

One day after work, I mounted a scope on a rifle on my dining table where I could get it all squared up.
After I was done, It was too dark to see outside through my picture window where I normally boresight on the top "T" of my pipe fence at 103 yards from my dining table.
So, my Dusk to Dawn light was the only thing I could see well enough so I lasered it at 195 yards and boresighted on it (I have a door next to the picture window if you were wandering how I lasered it).
It worked tremendously well!
The window tints light enough where it isn't too bright and creates a small halo around the bulb when looking through the barrel which makes it very easy to center in the bore. This method puts it slightly high on paper at 100 if I really take my time and do a good job.
I thought about putting a small solar light on my fence "T" which would work great but just never did.
Now I boresight all of them that way unless I'm in a hurry and just do it at the range.

Just a trick I stumbled on and wanted to share.

Last edited:
Same way you would bore sight any other rifle. You can use a laser boresighter. You can take the upper off or hinge it down so you can sight through the barrel and adjust the scope to the point the barrel is aiming at.
I agree with Hard H20, but I might add that it's a little easier to completely remove the upper and place it on a rest and sandbags. I do it at my 600 yard range; center the bull down the center of the barrel, then adjust the reticle about 6" under the bull, and you should be good for an average velocity cartridge.
Boresight.jpg

If it's a "hotter" caliber, raise the crosshairs up or go a little lower for a slower one!
~SteveView attachment 552906
It would seem to me you would have to remove the bolt to bore sight the barrel and scope. It appears to me you have the bolt still inplace. I will say that it looks like an AR-15 or M-4 can be bore sighted. So I was incorrect on that point.

You are correct, Mike! I got ahead of myself and took the photo before I removed the bolt carrier. I did take a photo looking down the barrel at my target, but it wouldn't focus correctly. The one I took looking through the scope should have had the windage crosshairs centered a little better also!
Steve