Ever a Ruger #1 In Short Magnums?

What would be the purpose of a short mag in an actionless Ruger #1??
The 300 win mag will do everyting that a 300WSM will and the rifle will be the same length. Accuracy too.

VH

Everyone's gonna make everything in a short mag before too long. Savage even makes a Stryker pistol in 300WSM. Don't ask me why. I guess, it's fun to be able to say I shot one but didn't think so at the time.

Probably not. For the same reasons you shouldnt make an encore WSM barrel. the chamber pressure vs face area has something to do with it. Apparently the WSM exerts more force rearward then the No 1 action can handle SAFELY. Im not saying it couldnt or wont be done, but probably not.

I read an article about this when researching data on the TC Encore rifles.

Gents - speaking of the ruger #1 and other falling blocks etc - I haven't heard any body using these type of actions for these big guns and ultra long range guns , why ?- thanks

Unavailability of match grade triggers and such. Then the smaller receiver doesn't have enough thread and receiver ring to hold up with a big round. Other proven systems are out there. A gun that breaks open to reload wouldn't be much fun on a bench with a heavy barrel, etc.

The action is plenty strong, so that isn't the reason, and I'm sure Ruger would tell you the same.

I had one in 378 Weatherby at one time, 1/2 MOA rifle too, believe it or not.

My brother is building a 500 Jeffery on one to shoot 750gr A-Max bullets right now, just finishing up the stock on it and it's done. It's got a 36" barrel too, mine had a 28".

Call Dave Caboth at Nitro Gun Works 907-376-5261 to get the scoop on these actions, he uses them for big bores like this all the time. He's the one that bought mine off me, and to build a bigger one than the 378 on it too.

Problem:
The forend's on a hanger, not condusive to freefloating the barrel. My bother is bedding his 500 full length I think.

Accuracy is probably slightly better with a bolt action, thus it's the most desirable for LR work.

I'd buy one again, it definitely makes a short package using a long tube. Accuracy was never an issue on mine.

Dave tells me the early model ations up through the 80's are the better ones, I forget why exactly.

Like Phil said, a lever action at the bench isn't the best, but it does work.

Mine had a Timney set trigger, couple ounces to a couple pounds.
smile.gif

[ 12-13-2003: Message edited by: Brent ]

Ray Romain built a 300 tomahawk on the #1 for Olspark. 30" barrel velocities he gets are to 3100 with the 240smk. We just fired a 1" group at 400yds last weekend actually. The cool thing is, his gun is still shorter than my 700shortaction with a 28" barrel.

Brent

if you plan to use 500 Jeffrey caution because this case doesn t handle heavy pressure , Horneber are good but Bertram are poor in quality I use 500 jeffrey in hunting rifle that nice , for 50 cal heavy bullet 408 case open to 50 can xworks better to make a 510/505 gibbs

good shooting and keep safe

DAN TEC

Dantec,

He bought a hundred Horneber cases for it.

I would have went with the 510 CheyTac myself, I'm not sure why he chose the Jeffery, other than that Dave (gunsmith) has one and he was ready to order more brass, and wasn't sure where to get the 408 CT brass.

They made a custom brake for it, looks like the Holland QD, but with one more set of slots though. I can't wait to shoot the hog!

The #1 rifles are naturals for conversion to the old British classic heavy calibres.

I have one in 500 Nitro Express. 27" Shilen, no brake, finished at 10.75#.

It's a hoot to shoot and is definitely my favourite short range rifle.

I had a #1 in 378, 30" tube, no brake. **** thing was brutal but accurate. Sold it to a friend who braked it and loves it.

The #1s do have forearm issues and this condition seems to vary from rifle to rifle.

There are a couple of accurizing methods, e.g., hanger tuners, milling the rib, bedding the forearm, etc.

For a trigger, my personal pick is the Kepplinger single set.

The Ruger #1s will never truly challenge the bolt rifles at long range, but they can certainly be massaged to deliver consistent accurate groups in most any calibre.

And they look **** good doin' it!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.