Does (7mm sendero) this look like it would be accurate

bsb

This is my new gun, is it ok like this for accuracy the inside taper is choppy like the cutter was vibrating (hard to see in picture)whats with the battle dings
Thanks [image]
CIMG3531.jpg
[/image]

[ QUOTE ]
This is my new gun, is it ok like this for accuracy the inside taper is choppy like the cutter was vibrating (hard to see in picture) whats with the battle dings
Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent camouflage job on the gun... it looks like a blue/green blanket /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The smith that did that should give you your money back... that happened to me once and I stopped payment on the check.

That being said (and I'll probably get a lot flack for this), the rifle should shoot well.

There was an interesting article in PS some years back, where a fairly well known Bench rest shooter took a good rifle, shot a 10 shot group to establish the capabilities.

Then he hacksawed off the front 1" at a 20 degree angle, and left the crude saw marks on the muzzle, and shot another group... and it was essentially the same size as the first, but about 7" off to the right.

Then he chucked the thing in a lathe and turned a 11 degree crown to it, and shot it again... group was the same size, and back where it originally was.

So... it would appear, that as long as the bullet is marked the same every time, and has the same forces on it when it leaves the barrel, it will fly the same every time.

I think that most good rifle builders would agree that it's in the chamber, throat, and first few inches of rifling that "accuracy happens".

Of course, that's not an endorsement of poor crowns either.

Shoot it and post what it does.

Thanks Catshooter for taking the time for your reply
that sounds incouraging,
I did one 6 1/2" one 6 1/4" and one 5 3/8" All 5 shot groups at 670 yards
It also did a 5 shot 1 7/8" group at 300 yrds
I hate to take it back! I ordered it from cabelas and they give you 30 days for return (cabelas has always treated me right and I know they would take it back) It just bugs me paid 1150.00 PLUS TAX for these gouge marks and a beat it to fit paint it to match look on the inside crown taper. I guess it shoots decent and thats the main thing! thanks
Awe yea! you pegged the blanket it was the only way I could get a decent picture with the light

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks CatShooter for taking the time for your reply
that sounds encouraging.
I did one 6 1/2" one 6 1/4" and one 5 3/8" All 5 shot groups at 670 yards. It also did a 5 shot 1 7/8" group at 300 yds.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are getting those kinda groups, then KEEP IT!

[ QUOTE ]
I hate to take it back! I ordered it from cabelas and they give you 30 days for return (cabelas has always treated me right and I know they would take it back) It just bugs me paid 1150.00 PLUS TAX for these gouge marks and a beat it to fit paint it to match look on the inside crown taper. I guess it shoots decent and thats the main thing! thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious as to what make and model of rifle it is.

$1150 is a far amount of money for a rifle... should be better than that.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
$1150 is a far amount of money for a rifle... should be better than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

did you mean shooting wise or workmanship wise?
It is the 2007 7mm mag sendero sfII

[ QUOTE ]
...did you mean shooting wise or workmanship wise?
It is the 2007 7mm mag sendero sfII

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant workmanship wise.

I got a .264 Sendero-II-SF last September and it is a jewel. Not a hair out of place. It was proofed in July '06... crown is perfect.

What you are talking about is called "Chatter", and usually comes from a dull cutter, or not enough support of the work in the machine.

Did you pay $1150 for the rifle plus some stuff, or the just rifle only??

I paid $950 for mine, NIB, box never opened, from the local dealer. I ordered it in Feb '06.

Apparently the .264 caliber was hard to find, or maybe they didn't make many of them.

Totally agree. I have a 6MM Remington built on an Argentine Mauser 1909 with 28" Shilen match barrel on it. I have this thing build when I was a newbie and didn't know much about rifles, let alone methods of building an accurate one. I just told the the smith "I want the whole 28" of the barrel" and that's what he did. He did squared the muzzle end though. Well later on, I realized that your suppose to cut at least an inch at the muzzle end to removed the slightly oversized portion of the barrel that's worned during lapping. I could tell by looking at the muzzle that it's slighly flared but the darn thing shoot anyway, so I left it at that. Here's three shot and five shot group at 100 yards. I killed a few varmints with it at longrange. The longest one, a crow at 598 yards.

IMGP0506.jpg

I paid $950 for mine, NIB, box never opened, from the local dealer. I ordered it in Feb '06.

[/ QUOTE ]
I Paid 950.00 also for the 300 rum sendero in april of 06 also.
prices went up is what they said to 1150 retirment people for remington is why they said.

nice groups fox! would you take my 7mm back or keep it?
my brother has 7mm mag sendero and 7mm ultru sendero and they each has done 5 shot 3 3/4" and 3 7/8" groups at 670 yrds.
the gun does shoot good but for 1150 it should not look like the end of a piece of rebar.

[ QUOTE ]
nice groups fox! would you take my 7mm back or keep it?
my brother has 7mm mag sendero and 7mm ultru sendero and they each has done 5 shot 3 3/4" and 3 7/8" groups at 670 yrds.
the gun does shoot good but for 1150 it should not look like the end of a piece of rebar.

[/ QUOTE ]

You CAN exchange it or get a new one from Remington.

If Cabella's can replace it, then look carefully at the new one... if they can't get a new one for you, you can send it back to Rem and they will replace the whole rifle.

cabelas ordered this in and they dont have no more.
would have too order special again!
I delt with remington 20 yrs ago on a returned gun and it took months to get it back dont know how they are now a days tho!

[ QUOTE ]
cabelas ordered this in and they dont have no more.
would have too order special again!
I delt with remington 20 yrs ago on a returned gun and it took months to get it back dont know how they are now a days tho!

[/ QUOTE ]

I got a defective XR-100 last spring, and sent it back to rem... I had a completely new rifle in two weeks.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.