Do you remember the first centerfire rifle you fired and do you reload for that caliber today?

Not sure as I was a kid who liked guns but knew little about them. I was about 10 when a guy who wanted to date my older system came out to the farm. To score points with her, he brought along his M1 Carbine. She must have told him I like to shoot. I had never seen sights like those, but I proceeded to hit a pop can at about 30 yards. I went to hand it back, but he told me to shoot the whole clip. Of course I did. At about the same age, I was with my dad and a good neighbor as we hunted red fox. When one came to the call, the neighbor handed me his Model 70 Winchester in .257 Roberts. I got the fox with the first shot. I don't load for these now, but I do own guns in each caliber. Great memories!!!

The first centre fire rifle I shot was a.577 snider enfield. It belonged to my friends grandfather(this was 1960) he had it from his grandfather. It was a cavalry carbine iirc and the old gentleman wasn't best pleased when he discovered that we had fired off more than half a dozen of his stache of antique rolled brass ammo. I was 16 then.
I have an Enfield Snider from 1856, Love the old girl. Still hits a 7x7 at 100yards

The first rifle I ever fired was a 375HH. I was 10 years old. It almost took my arm and shoulder off. The bruises were massive, taking weeks to heal. But the grin on my face never wore off. My buddy's dad showed me how to fire it after a lot of instruction. I already had 3 years of proficiency on a .22, but the 375HH was my first centerfire. When I turned 24, I got one of my own. I still reload for it today and will never get rid of it. 66 years passes quickly.
.243 First started loading it in 69 when I was 15 still loading it today along with .270 and .300 Wby

Sporterized 8x57 Gem 98 Mauser, 8 years old, as I remember it kicks just as hard now as it did then, yes I still have it and build hand loads for it. It has the trajectory of a mortar round but at 80 something years old its a tack driver and nothing has walked or ran away from it. I take it to plink hogs with every now and then. There is no doubt where the bullet went in and where it came out

Sporterized 8x57 Gem 98 Mauser, 8 years old, as I remember it kicks just as hard now as it did then, yes I still have it and build hand loads for it. It has the trajectory of a mortar round but at 80 something years old its a tack driver and nothing has walked or ran away from it. I take it to plink hogs with every now and then. There is no doubt where the bullet went in and where it came out
Plinking hogs, now that's a vision. A real mule kicker, huh? 8 years old. Wow, I thought I was young.

Some kind of war surplus 7mm.
Way back in the day in the late 50's and early 60' (before 1968 gun laws) the local "sell everything" store literally had cattle tanks full of mostly foreign military surplus rifles at around $15.00 each. Also surplus ammo very cheap. Buy a couple, spend the day cleaning the cosmoline out, shoot for a while and mark them up $5.00 and sell them. Some were real shooters. Wasn't smart enough to keep any, being a teenager always wanting the latest and greatest. Wonder what some of these relics are worth today.

Some kind of war surplus 7mm.
Way back in the day in the late 50's and early 60' (before 1968 gun laws) the local "sell everything" store literally had cattle tanks full of mostly foreign military surplus rifles at around $15.00 each. Also surplus ammo very cheap. Buy a couple, spend the day cleaning the cosmoline out, shoot for a while and mark them up $5.00 and sell them. Some were real shooters. Wasn't smart enough to keep any, being a teenager always wanting the latest and greatest. Wonder what some of these relics are worth today.
Cosmoline, there's a memory. I used to get my guns and ammo/ parts from Coast to Coast hardware stores up north in ND back in the dark ages. Don't know if they are still around. Imagine what some of those old shooters are worth today. Oh, the pain! Stay safe and have fun.

How long have you had it?
He still has it. I just shoot it every now and then :). I shot it I think when I was 9 or 10. Recoil was fine. But that same day of firsts I shot his old 12 guage. Single shot break action, narrow steel buttplate, 6 pounds soaking wet, made in Brazil type of shotgun. That put me on my butt!!! I've shot a .375 hh out of a normal weight hunting rifle…don't think it's as bad as that stupid old shotgun with old high brass lead bb shot goose loads from the 70's haha.

My first centerfire were 2 Winchester 94's, 26 in octagon barrel. I purchased both guns while overseas in the Navy. This gun is heavy (11 lbs with scope). Still have them and still reload for them. Still have my first Lee hand loader; I have used an RCBS press now for over 50 years. Two incidents are very vivid in my mind yet today. The first time I shot at a ground hog, I rested the rifle on a loader bucket and when I squeezed the trigger the scope hit me right between the eyes, broke my glasses and left a bruise. The second incident was from horseback. I had shot my Winchester 290 (.22 LR) from horseback prior to my service and I wanted to be like the TV cowboys with this 30-30. Big mistake, needless to say I was dumped on the ground, you had to know my horse!

So yeh, I still shoot them, rarely anymore. I will never sell these 2 guns for sentimental reasons.

He still has it. I just shoot it every now and then :). I shot it I think when I was 9 or 10. Recoil was fine. But that same day of firsts I shot his old 12 guage. Single shot break action, narrow steel buttplate, 6 pounds soaking wet, made in Brazil type of shotgun. That put me on my butt!!! I've shot a .375 hh out of a normal weight hunting rifle…don't think it's as bad as that stupid old shotgun with old high brass lead bb shot goose loads from the 70's haha.
My first time at bat with a centerfire was an original H&H .375. I didn't know the difference back then. The one I have now, since I was 24 in 1979, is a Win 70-1969 vintage. A real hoot to shoot.

Recent Posts