Do you remember the first centerfire rifle you fired and do you reload for that caliber today?

Remington 700BDL LH in .308. Got it as a present from my dad when I was 12. He learned to shoot .308 in the Army, qualifying Expert, and said if it was good for the Army it was good for everyone. He owned a lot of rifles...and they were all chambered in .308. I still have it and reload for it. Thankfully I have branched out and own and load for many other calibers too.
I love my 308's. I have a bolt gun and an AR in 308. Nice soft push and a great hunter. Not too awfully expensive to reload either. Stay safe and have fun!

The first centerfire rifle I shot was a .300 Savage in a Remington 760. My son has the rifle now so it did not go far. To replace it I purchased two Remington 722's in .300 Savage. I still have one of them and my son the other. Yes, I still load for the .300.....

The first centre fire rifle I shot was a.577 snider enfield. It belonged to my friends grandfather(this was 1960) he had it from his grandfather. It was a cavalry carbine iirc and the old gentleman wasn't best pleased when he discovered that we had fired off more than half a dozen of his stache of antique rolled brass ammo. I was 16 then.

12 years old with my dad and his father's Browning 30-06
He still has it but does not shoot enough to reload it...these days he is focused on 20 gauge

The first centre fire rifle I shot was a.577 snider enfield. It belonged to my friends grandfather(this was 1960) he had it from his grandfather. It was a cavalry carbine iirc and the old gentleman wasn't best pleased when he discovered that we had fired off more than half a dozen of his stache of antique rolled brass ammo. I was 16 then.
Oops...Don't know that caliber. A mule kick? Big enough for it. What weight bullets did you use?

My friend's 300wm sako 85 carbon light, fluted short barrel, skeletonized everything. Kicked like an 8lb sledge. I now have a mauser m12 in 300 but can't reload for it, I jus won't shoot it enough.
Honestly I've shot way bigger and bladder guns but I just can't get that one out of my head to really enjoy it enough to invest the time.

My friend's 300wm sako 85 carbon light, fluted short barrel, skeletonized everything. Kicked like an 8lb sledge. I now have a mauser m12 in 300 but can't reload for it, I jus won't shoot it enough.
Honestly I've shot way bigger and bladder guns but I just can't get that one out of my head to really enjoy it enough to invest the time.
Too bad.

Mule kick!

C-130, 577 was a 19th century British army calibre, TBH the ammo we used , as far as I know, was original and, TBH, I wouldn't have known the weight of the bullet. Wiki has it as 480 grains at around 1300 fps and it was introduced in 1867 so the ammo was getting on for 100 years of age, sacrilege to use them really, but you know what teenagers are like.
The British later necked down the case to 45 and the 577/450 round, a contemporary of the 45/70, evolved.
I can't remember what the recoil was like back then in 1960 but a friend of mine has a snider in 577 and a martini enfield in 577/450 and the Martini recoils much more and is very noticeable; the snider recoils like a low brass 12 gauge, I last fired that rifle about 3 years ago and can't remember the recoil as being excessive but I can remember the martini as giving very noticeable recoil.
My friend loads them with black powder so not only do you get a kick in your shoulder, if the wind is in your face you get one in the back of your throat if you breathe too quickly after the shot.
HTH

The first one would have to be my dad's 308 Norma mag when I was 12. We didn't have much back then so that's what I started with. I have it now that he's passed away. And yes I'm loading for it🙂

C-130, 577 was a 19th century British army calibre, TBH the ammo we used , as far as I know, was original and, TBH, I wouldn't have known the weight of the bullet. Wiki has it as 480 grains at around 1300 fps and it was introduced in 1867 so the ammo was getting on for 100 years of age, sacrilege to use them really, but you know what teenagers are like.
The British later necked down the case to 45 and the 577/450 round, a contemporary of the 45/70, evolved.
I can't remember what the recoil was like back then in 1960 but a friend of mine has a snider in 577 and a martini enfield in 577/450 and the Martini recoils much more and is very noticeable; the snider recoils like a low brass 12 gauge, I last fired that rifle about 3 years ago and can't remember the recoil as being excessive but I can remember the martini as giving very noticeable recoil.
My friend loads them with black powder so not only do you get a kick in your shoulder, if the wind is in your face you get one in the back of your throat if you breathe too quickly after the shot.
HTH
Wow. I have only shot black powder a couple of times. An old .65 caliber and a couple of .50s all old muskets. Dont know their ages though. That 577/450 must have been a real hoot! I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning! Stay safe and have fun.