Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

• YES

Votes: 1,117 51.8%
  • NO

Votes: 1,041 48.2%

• Total voters
The option to change bullet weights plus backup shots are a big plus.I find some extended mags to be in the way when precision shooting but its a simple task to remove for a single shot. I read with interest as one said if I cant do it with one shot I wont do it.I say if I cant do it with one shot I want the second third and more to get the job done.

Soldiers need detachable magazines when they are "laying down the lead." Competition shooters might need a DM to meet the competition requirements. Varmint hunters might find a DM useful. But, why on earth would a big game hunter need a detachable magazine? For easy unloading? Thought the BDL had that covered. It is just a fashion statement on a big game rifle.

On the other hand, if you have gone from an ADL setup, which is supposedly fool proof, to a BDL setup which has some room for mistakes and failures, then choosing a magazine is just another flavor of "not an ADL." Additionally, some of the single stack magazines might be more reliable than a BDL: more expensive too. :)

Now, dangerous game hunters might prefer an ADL for its reliability. Then again, all of the world's armies use detachable magazines for their big game hunting, so maybe even that argument does not hold water. Then again, many soldiers have had malfunctions of their magazine-fed rifles during combat, especially those using M4s. So, it might be important to consider "which" magazine system is chosen.

Fortunately, hunting is not usually a life or death affair, so pick whatever tickles your fancy. For big game though, it's is just a fashion statement: no denying that.

The idea of changing bullet weights in a hunting rifle is flawed. There are not many rifles that will put different weight bullets into the same impact zone, some will but not many.

In a hunting rifle the best method is to pick the bullet weight that does the job in the particular calibre and use it for everything. You will never have to alter the scope due to a different point of impact.

It is our duty to try and make the cleanest and deadliest shot possible on any game we hunt.

I dont see changing bullet weights as a justifiable reason for a detachable magazine, ease of empty the rifle may have some merit but it hasnt been a problem for me with any drop down floorplate rifle I have owned.

Reloading through the action is easier with a hinged floorplate and is almost impossible on most detachable magazines.

I'll stick with the standard floor plate. Hunting elk a few years ago outside Pinedale, wy and found a 300 mag magazine on the trail. I guess the man who lost it had to get use to the idea of a single shot rifle. I been shooting a 7mag for 30 years and never had shoot more than one round!

Detachable mags are great for combat, but for all of the reasons mentioned above I prefer fixed mags and or single shots. Go Ruger #1

At least in Canada, detachable is the way to go as we need to be constantly, loading and unloading. Everytime we get in or on ANY motorized vehicle (car, truck, ATV, snowmobile) we have to be unloaded so its much more convenient and faster with a detachable magazine.

Nope. I've seen a DM go "bombs away" and there's little utility in that for me. They're great for truck hunters who want to jump out and ram a mag into the rifle so they can shoot, but I've never found myself wanting to do that. A Floorplate works fine for me or a blind mag (ADL style). Plus there's always the chance the mag goes missing on you. No chance of that happening with a floorplate. The ADL style is the most bombproof - no chance of it springing open after the first shot.

Honestly, the magazine style is the last thing I worry about. But if all three were available in the rifle I was looking to buy I'd probably choose the Floorplate, then the Blind Mag and finally the DM.

img1243.jpg

Single Shot works / steep downhill 120 yds and inside the woods, a well placed shot - venison jerky for 2009 .. my son Darin.

Down Here in Australia we also must not have any ammunition in a rifle whilst in a motorised vehicle on public roads.
In all the years I have been hunting I have never found it to hard to just dump the rounds from the floorplate into my hand. If a quick reload is needed it is easy to just push the rounds into the magazine from the top whilst walking to where ever you wish to be to hunt.

Hinged floor plate every time for me.

I prefer the DM on my Rem 700 .280. It is convenient, and allows for quick clearing of the rifle. Drop the mag, pull the cartridge in action.

On all of my builds except the Mausers I use the HS mags. Trick is to make sure the Sminth knows what they are doing otherwise if not fitted correctly it may drop during recoil when loaded. The empty magizine will not fall out nearly as easily as a loaded one.

Never!!! If my head wasn't attached I would forget it some where. A detachable mag would get lost. No detachable mags for this guy.