Do you lap the whole ring or just bottom half only

Lapping is for MINOR alignment adjustment. The problem with one piece base/ring combos is the tolerance stack between the base screw slots and the screw body. I will only use a rail for this reason.

I usually use the lapping bar as an arbor and assemble ring caps to align the lower rings while finger tight on screws to the action. I have one special tool to tighten at least one of the screws on each lower to hold in place. Remove lapping bar and finish torque all screws. Then lap to finish. It helps to eliminate alignment variance before lapping.

DSCF1074 (2).JPG

Even though talley doesn't reccomend lapping, I have run into quite a few sets of recent lightweights that aren't machined right. The diameter of the bottom ring is much smaller, such as when the scope is placed in them, it has to be pushed down with a "snap" happening. This creates a pinch to the scope tube. I would bet that with use, the ring has a high chance of cracking.

Talley says that they are designed this way, but all of the older sets, and some newer sets I have don't do this. Here is a picture of a ring that is obviously not machined correctly.
B0B900DB-DC58-4E3C-9DA8-9F81D59468F7.png

I like Burris signature rings with the plastic inserts. If I get regular rings I'll buy them larger sized and a $10 set of inserts off Amazon. 30mm rings with 1" inserts for 1" tube works great.

I like Burris signature rings with the plastic inserts. If I get regular rings I'll buy them larger sized and a $10 set of inserts off Amazon. 30mm rings with 1" inserts for 1" tube works great.

Those are the most underrated rings in existence. I think they are great too!