90% of the performance, half the price?

For $500 - $1000 value, the Sightron SIII gets the nod in our book. For $500 and under, the Vortex Viper would be our choice.

You learn a lot about a company when you see their best stuff, and see how it stacks up.

The reason why the SIII gets all the accolades is b/c it is Sightron's BEST scope. You never have that many positive comments about Lupy rifleman or VX-! or Bushnell Banners or Sightron SI or other lower end scopes b/c they are of lesser quality. They are still decent, but better alternatives exist within the company's product lineup. The SII Big Sky are not quite an SIII shrunk down in a 1-inch tube, the SIII's objective lens polish, coating, and arrangement are better in the SIII. I suspect the erector lens assembly is similar. The SII Big Sky are excellent scopes.

Vortex Viper continues to get overlooked but if the reticles and features of the scope appeal to you, then they are an easy choice. 90% of the performance of the best for a third or fourth the price!!

Anyway, these are my personal choices.

Can't comment on the Clearidge Ultra b/c I've never seen one.

Scott

I just purchased a Bushnel Elite 6500 4-30 x 50 mildot for my DPMS in 260 Rem.

I like it!!! :D

Cost was under $700 from Grafs Reloading SuperCenter. This is well below the best price I could find on the internet.

FH

I know that I am a little bias, but below is some feed back from customers that have purchased and seen the Clearidge Ultra XP5.

1. Had one customer purchase two Bushnell Elite 6500's only to send them back to Bushnell for his money back and has purchase 4 of the Ultra XP5 since.

2. Another customer who was hunting with a friend who had a Nightforce said that he really could not tell much of a difference between the Ultra XP5 and his friends Nightforce.

3. Third, had a customer inform us that he did some testing against his Zeiss Conquest and really could not tell a big difference.

4. Reviews on Longrangehunting shows them to very favorable against the Zeiss Conquest, better than the Nikon Monarch X and even tough to tell the difference between the XP5 and an older S&B worth $2000.00.

Two days ago I sent a PM to Jon with some questions and explanation of what I was doing.

So far I have received neither an aknowledgement or reply. I had decided that I would give his XP5 a shot, but the lack of response worries me about future issues if I have problems. I like little guys who work hard to beat the big guys, and I thought this was a good chance to get a new scope off the mark, but now I'm not so sure!!

Bill

bwaites,

I am sorry about not responding to the PM. To be honest, I never see the PM's when they come in. The best and fastest way for a response is by email. I will look at the PM now.

I agree with topwater225.
I purchased a SIII 8-32x56 from Larry Scott and have been very happy with it.
I have a NXS 8-32 and there is no noticeable difference between the two. The turrets seem very reliable and repeatable.
Awesome scope. The only bad thing is that it doesn't have the big NF on the side.:D
But then again you can buy two for the price of one NF.
Shoot Larry and email, you won't be sorry.

Vortex Viper continues to get overlooked but if the reticles and features of the scope appeal to you, then they are an easy choice. 90% of the performance of the best for a third or fourth the price!!

I have been using a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50 since last September and continue to be impressed with this scope. The turrets have been reliable and repeatable, and the optical clarity is great... I would compare it to Leupold (I use both on a regular basis). For the money I do not think that you can go wrong, and I am definately looking forward to seeing their Tactical line when it is released.

Two days ago I sent a PM to Jon with some questions and explanation of what I was doing.

So far I have received neither an aknowledgement or reply. I had decided that I would give his XP5 a shot, but the lack of response worries me about future issues if I have problems. I like little guys who work hard to beat the big guys, and I thought this was a good chance to get a new scope off the mark, but now I'm not so sure!!

Bill

I would definitely give them a shot. I don't see a PM on a board as really an "official" way to contact someone. I have dealt with him by phone and email and he has been very responsive. I bought a scope and didn't care for it and they were very responsive about taking it back. I am getting ready to order another one now and will really try to find it there because of the great experience I had with them in the past. Great folks.

Tom

well i just thought i would throw in the burris xtr, i have seen the 6-24x50 on a few sites for under $1000,i did a side by side with my nightforce and as for glass there was nothing much in it to my eyes.Tracked well, has enough elevation build quality isnt NF.Lifetime warranty though.....

300R do the XTR's still have 1moa clicks. Just a little to much adjustment for me. If they had a 1/4moa click option I think they would be more popular.

Brent

I bought a Clearidge scope off Jon,

It arrived on my door step down here in Australia about 4 days after I paid for it. Man was I impressed with their service. They must have shares in the airline.....LoL

As for the Clearidge scope, it is a very impressive bit of glass. I have a NF NXS on my .338 Edge and Burris and Leupold scopes on my other rifles. I can tell you that the Nightforce NXS, will be staying right where it is, but the Burris and Leupold scopes will be replaced with Clearidge scopes as soon as possible.

I was looking on TOZ web page. It list the clearidge ultra xp5 2.5-12x42 with 90 moa total adjustment. The 4.5-22.5x50 only has 48 moa total adjustment. Is this accurate? Do you give up total adjustment for magnification? Does the clearidge have a zero stop or do you have to look to set to zero? How can you tell how many rotations are made on the target knobs? Is each one marked? Sorry for the many questions but need to know. :) Thanks

I would also recommend looking at the IOR fixed 16x if you do not mind a fixed power scope. The Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x40mm LR/T is also a very good way to go for under a 1k. I use two of them and have been very happy with them.

Mike @ CST

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.