Do you agree? The effects of shooting in the rain ...

Do you agree shooting in the rain affects the bullet's impact?

• Total voters
Running some quick numbers for 1"/day rainfall, 1000 yards, 3000 fps, 30 cal I get a maximum of 30% chance of bullet hitting a drop. At 300 yards its 10%

Ave Drop size .05 ml, ave drop speed 4fps
.21 drops/cu ft/sec times 3000 cu ft traveled/sec times bullet base size/144

Last edited:
have not done a controlled experiment but in pouring rain at a range of 100 yards no difference shooting a 130gr bullet. I was also surprised when it began snowing and I shot a 1 shot bullseye at 350 yards with an 85gr SGK from a 243, followed by a 1" 3 shot group. I thought the snow would affect it. Now we know, ignore the snowflakes ;-)

There are too many unknown variables to determine a viable answer.
What I do know is that rain drops had no effect on my 6.5 Creedmoor at 1000+yards.

What does have an effect is shooting my 6.5 underwater. That was the only thing that has stopped it.

Last edited:
Here is the Guns and Ammo article written by Dave Emary concerning the effect of rain:

Agree with the conclusions in this article.

Another response to this thread was that the humidity will affect trajectory. Agree with that as well ... if you account for varying air density due to altitude, humidity, etc. Then this becomes a probability question - what are the odds a raindrop will hit the bullet as well as the probability it occurs from 0yds to its final intended destination.

Another response to this thread was that the humidity will affect trajectory. Agree with that as well

6mm Dasher, 105 Hybrid @ 2925fps - 1000yds.

0% Humidity
Ne5PlZ6l.jpg

100% Humdity - all other variables the same.
VkdNxLOl.jpg

To further the point, I've shot in the rain quite a bit, and have noticed no discernable POI shift that wasn't attributable to wet ammunition going into a wet chamber/barrel.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Last edited:
I think bullet construction plays a part, as does distance and weather or not you actually hit a raindrop. I have seen .17 Rem bullets smoke in the rain and not hit the target 100yds away. I have shot a Whitetail buck in the neck @300 during a pretty good rain with no ill effect. Guess the big answer is "Sometimes or Maybe" One limitation is rangefinders. I was hunting last year one afternoon and got caught in a downpour when my 2800.com would not range past 400. Would not shoot past where I could range, and I think that might keep me out of trouble. I have NOT tried it at known distances far off. I don't like to play in the rain anymore. I will be in camp unless caught out in it or the ducks / geese are flying REALLY good and one of the kids is begging.

I'll agree with all those who voted "no change". IMO and per the articles I've read long ago its the sonic wave just in front of the meplat that creates a "barrier." I've shot numerous times in light to moderate rain at 1000 in F-Class and actually had some very nice scores as the wind is usually laying down flat. Could be my 180 hybrids don't like to get wet. Lol

Here is the Guns and Ammo article written by Dave Emary concerning the effect of rain:

A typical raindrop is 2mm in diameter and weighs about 0.5 grains. It falls at a terminal velocity of 20-30 fps, or appears essentially stationary to a bullet at 2-3000 fps. If a bullet strikes that raindrop dead center and transfers 100% of the raindrop's energy and momentum to its own speed, the energy loss of the bullet in its continued trajectory is at most a few ft-lbs. The added bullet drop would be unnoticeable in most situations.

I just read through all this ... where gurus in Physics argued the same question about the effect of rain on a fired bullet ... I'll spare you the reading, as wow - they fought like anything over the formulas and whether or not mass or momemtum was the most critical component! Assume rain as in good droplets, like those that would sting your face if out on the boat in a good rain storm zooming for home at 40mph ... rain, not a shower, no mist or 'baby' shower here ...

Setup
Rifle: Howa 1500 in 30-06 cartridge
Load: Hornady 150gr FMJ, 2600fps, Varget 46.6gr, CCI 200 primer, Winchester case
Range: 300-yards, Water dropper devise placed 260-yards from target
Shots:
Shots 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, and 9; hit water drops (verified by video), making an 8" group.
Shots 1, 2, 7, and 10; did not hit drops, making a 1.5" group.

Conclusion
The group shot that hit water drops was over 5 times the size of the group that didn't.
I would definitely say it should/could have an impact based on basic physics. Rain, sleet flood or mud, I'm hunting or shooting and have never witnessed a negative effect. With that being said, in the 40 plus years of shooting, I've not shot an animal or target in those conditions past 400 yds. On another note, rain does have a major effect on the golf game…
In all seriousness, in terms of physic's, even the slightest amount of mass would have to have an effect. At the end of the day, you can't shoot what you can't see.

I'm not Superman but have sat inside of bullet shaped objects from zero to well above Mach...at very low speeds the raindrops hit the windscreen but somewhere around 200 Knots IAS the rain no longer hits the windscreen or canopy. I think there might be something to the pressure wave theories of a few of the replies above LOL!
NOW this work of mine was NOT done in a Laboratory or peer reviewed...I just observed it many times in the real world.
Any other pilots in the readership have similar experiences?

I'm not Superman but have sat inside of bullet shaped objects from zero to well above Mach...at very low speeds the raindrops hit the windscreen but somewhere around 200 Knots IAS the rain no longer hits the windscreen or canopy. I think there might be something to the pressure wave theories of a few of the replies above LOL!
NOW this work of mine was NOT done in a Laboratory or peer reviewed...I just observed it many times in the real world.
Any other pilots in the readership have similar experiences?
You are describing the "boundary layer" of air flow.