Shooting in the rain

If you shoot in truly rainy conditions for long, not just misting but really raining, you'll find out whether you're running close to max pressures or not. There was a local PRS match earlier this spring in Tillamook, Oregon and most of the day it was coming down pretty good. I've never seen so many popped primers in my life!

As was said earlier, rain is a really good thing for learning to read the wind. If you can see your target through the rain, you can hit it. I was at BangSteel shooting school for a class and the first day it rained all day. We shot from 600 yds to 1100 yds with no issues. This was the day we developed our drop charts and no one had any issues with these drop charts the second day with no rain. There were times when we had to stop because the rain was too hard, you couldn't see anything down range. I have never had the chance to do it, but Dan said that a light snow is good weather for training/shooting for the same reason - you can see what the wind is doing all the way to the target.

If you shoot in truly rainy conditions for long, not just misting but really raining, you'll find out whether you're running close to max pressures or not. There was a local PRS match earlier this spring in Tillamook, Oregon and most of the day it was coming down pretty good. I've never seen so many popped primers in my life!

This is what I would worry about more then the effect of rain on the bullet itself. If it's raining pretty hard it would be impossible to keep the bore dry. So what would the effects be before the bullet leaves the muzzle?

For hunting it be easy enough to just tape a sandwich baggy over the end or muzzle brake. But this again should be tested to make sure it doesn't effect poi.

For hunting it be easy enough to just tape a sandwich baggy over the end or muzzle brake. But this again should be tested to make sure it doesn't effect poi.

A sandwich baggy wouldn't hold up more than 10 minutes in most of the country I've ever hunted and I've also never had any issue with using electrical tape over the muzzle (and break if needed). Hasn't shifted POI at all.

As was said earlier, rain is a really good thing for learning to read the wind. If you can see your target through the rain, you can hit it. I was at BangSteel shooting school for a class and the first day it rained all day. We shot from 600 yds to 1100 yds with no issues. This was the day we developed our drop charts and no one had any issues with these drop charts the second day with no rain. There were times when we had to stop because the rain was too hard, you couldn't see anything down range. I have never had the chance to do it, but Dan said that a light snow is good weather for training/shooting for the same reason - you can see what the wind is doing all the way to the target.
This is definitely true.

A sandwich baggy wouldn't hold up more than 10 minutes in most of the country I've ever hunted and I've also never had any issue with using electrical tape over the muzzle (and break if needed). Hasn't shifted POI at all.

I've used the electrical tape on my non braked rifles many times and it does work great I was just trying to think of smthn that would work over a brake. I don't think the shape of my brakes are very conducive to taping.

I do like the finger of a latex glove idea though.

My non-expert opinion is that, rain will more than likely affect the "nut" behind the trigger as supposed to the equipment/set-up.

There's a LRH member from the EU, I can't remember who but he did an awesome video of shooting in the rain.

If you are running and gunning in a downpour it would be hard to keep water out of the ammo, chamber, bore...pretty much everything. That can cause some pressure issues even if you aren't close to max pressure.

Taping the muzzle (even braked) shouldn't effect POI, I've been doing it for many years. When I'm on a hunt I always keep tape with me, usually several wraps someplace on the barrel for extra.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.