Do I need new brass??

carpetman2

I just got my rifle build back, used my 270wsm Weatherby Vanguard action and now my brass doesn't want to work even though I full length size it and bump the should back. Do I need to start with new brass?

Have you tried measuring new brass vs the FL sized brass?

How about putting some new brass into the new chamber? While new brass is usually slightly undersized compared to what a FL die would do to your fired brass, it would at least tell you if the new chamber is close to being headspaced correctly.

Can you close the bolt on the FL sized brass? If you can, cover a case with layout fluid or a sharpie and see where the brass is tight. Only then can you figure out if it can be sized to fit. It might be hanging up near the web which would require a small base die to resize it to fit.

Let us know what you find.

I went back over all the brass and found I was not getting the shoulder bumped quite enough (1000th) too little. Seems to have remedied the problem with all but 2 cases. All cases were twice fired in that gun prior to the new build. I am still learning to check and recheck!

I've noticed that many times WSM dies have to be shortened slightly to bump the shoulder enough for reliable function. It may be worse with custom guns, that is all I deal with, but I had to shorten my 300wsm dies a few thou to get them to bump the shoulder enough.

Yes ......................

I have two .284 Winchester rifles cut from the same reamer and I still have to use a different set of cases for each rifle.
I can adjust the dies to make brass fired in one of them work well in the other, but without readusting the dies the cases are not interchangeable.
Nest time I'll order a reamer that's not quite so tight.

I have two .284 Winchester rifles cut from the same reamer and I still have to use a different set of cases for each rifle.
I can adjust the dies to make brass fired in one of them work well in the other, but without readusting the dies the cases are not interchangeable.

If they are cut with the same reamer the only explanation for that is the headspace is different between the two guns.

Fearnowind,

I also have a 284 win and a custom reamer. Curious....what reamer dimensions do you consider ''too tight?

Well it looks.like to me that there is about 5 thousands tolerance between the go and no go gauges for the 284 winchester. Since we are only bumping our shoulders back 1 or 2 thousands on fired brass if the gunsmith ran the finish reamer in 1 or 2 thousands more on one gun or.the other that would cause your issue. The gunsmith did nothing wrong. Both guns are probably within tolerance. Easily checked with a set of go/no go gauges.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.