Do I need a 338 Rum?

I found a Rem 700 stainless in 338 rum for sale locally. I currently don't have anything in 338 cal. I have all the other covered pretty well from .22 all the way to .375

Would it do anything a 300 PRC won't?

In the past I have hunted long range elk. I do currently live in Alaska.

I had a couple 338 RUMs. SS and blue Remington 700s. They can be accurate, but a shooting session (with a muzzle brake) at the bench gave me a concussion. :D I sold them. They ARE devastating on game to say the least. - We had tags for elk and deer in the Sunlight Basin area, North of Cody, WY. (Grizzly Territory.) - Did not see any elk, but I shot a muley buck at 205-yards with a Nosler 210-gr. Partition at about 3100-fps, broadside, and it blew his heart in half, and made mush of his lungs, then exited his off shoulder, and dropped him.

I actually like a regular 338 Winchester and a 210-gr. Partition, and it shoots around 2950-fps, and uses 30-grains less powder than the RUM. - No muzzle brake (for me anymore). My Dad's shot 3/8ths inch groups with that load!

I found a Rem 700 stainless in 338 rum for sale locally. I currently don't have anything in 338 cal. I have all the other covered pretty well from .22 all the way to .375

Would it do anything a 300 PRC won't?

In the past I have hunted long range elk. I do currently live in Alaska.
Man I'm gonna be the buzz kill to this party..
I had that same rifle awhile back and while I definitely agree the 338 Rum is an awesome cartridge I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze.
It's pretty light and even with an aggressive ear shattering brake it was brutal to shoot, I'm not talking shoulder pain I'm talking head splitting neck jaring pain.

Another problem was the cartridge length, I had to single feed even the 250 Bergers, a custom action with a 4" center feed box is what you'll want with the really heavy bullets.

I had that same rifle awhile back and while I definitely agree the 338 Rum is an awesome cartridge I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze.
B258E5E7-3773-450A-B765-CC265CE6C643.jpeg

It's pretty light and even with an aggressive ear shattering brake it was brutal to shoot, I'm not talking shoulder pain I'm talking head splitting neck jaring pain.

Another problem was the cartridge length, I had to single feed even the 250 Bergers, a custom action with a 4" center feed box is what you'll want with the really heavy bullets.
It is one of the reasons I went with the .338 NM over the .338 LM. The project is currently being built and will be an improved version (my reamer design). I also like my choices in brass (Lapua and Peterson).

.338_Lapua_Magnum_vs_.338_Norma_Magnum.jpg

.338 NM in .338 LM CIP mag.jpg

Last edited:
This freaking thread is killing me. Getting my 300 RUM back and together tomorrow. Now I'm thinking a 338 RUM, bullets, brass, dies, etc. Got the stock, Got the action, Got the trigger, Scope, Rings, crap all I need is a barrel. Hmmmmmm.

Do it! Here's your motivation :)

D3B614A0-BCA5-48EC-94EB-21D5F67CD4F7.jpeg

Last edited: