Do I need a 338 Rum?

wildwilderness

I found a Rem 700 stainless in 338 rum for sale locally. I currently don't have anything in 338 cal. I have all the other covered pretty well from .22 all the way to .375

Would it do anything a 300 PRC won't?

In the past I have hunted long range elk. I do currently live in Alaska.

I like a 250gr in my .340Wby. What is your best weight for the .375. Then I would consider rifle weights.
Then from those two 'best' weights, I would look for a notch not covered by what you have. If a .338RUM fills the notch, go for it. In other words I don't want two that are essentially the same. That is just me. JMO

There isn't a need! Your PRC will do everything just as good from a hunting stand point.
But you might as well go with your wants and fill that tine hole in cartridges you have. .338 RUM is a great round if you like the big boy cartridges

I found a Rem 700 stainless in 338 rum for sale locally. I currently don't have anything in 338 cal. I have all the other covered pretty well from .22 all the way to .375

Obviously you want it. Who cares if you need it?

John C Reilly Yes GIF

You need a different rifle for each species of game hunted on this continent. And that includes subspecies! So a Yukon/alaska moose rifle, a Newfoundland moose rifle, a "just plain old moose" rifle, Roosevelt elk, Rocky Mountain elk, tule elk, pronghorn, whitetail (and to be honest the northern whitetails are so much bigger than the southern ones you could get away with two different guns 😝), and so on and so forth haha.

All jokes aside. It's one of the most versatile cartridges made. My first 338 rum, shot 300 grn smks north of 2800 very accurately. And back when Nosler was actually making projectiles, I loaded 180 ballistic tips and accubonds up to 3700. Talk about a short range laser that hit like Thor's hammer. I never got around to trying the 165 Barnes and that was long before hammer was around. It may be time to the ole girl back out. It's currently fitted with a sporter contour barrel with 300 grn smks loaded way hot. Just for those old redneck guys that think recoil won't bother them.