Do I need a 338 Rum?

I found a Rem 700 stainless in 338 rum for sale locally. I currently don't have anything in 338 cal. I have all the other covered pretty well from .22 all the way to .375

Would it do anything a 300 PRC won't?

In the past I have hunted long range elk. I do currently live in Alaska.

You may not "need" it……but, it would be a great "all around" cartridge! memtb

338 rum is an excellent chamber. I personally think the larger 338s are as accurate and near as easily to tune as the smaller 6mms. They are forgiving on throat wear, stay in tune longer than magnum variety of 65, 7mm and 30s. Extremely lethal on game and ballistics are superior with heavy match bullets. Truthfully, a 6 creed and 338 rum/norma/edge/Lapua are all that are really needed to hunt N American.

Last edited:
yes, everyone needs a 338 RUM. Fast 33s just seem to hammer **** harder than 30s. They all work, 33s are just more traumatic and have some extra cool factor. Check us out for your ammunition needs. Stocked pretty well for the 338 RUM, its my personal gun of choice, so I always have stuff around for it.

It is one of the reasons I went with the .338 NM over the .338 LM. The project is currently being built and will be an improved version (my reamer design). I also like my choices in brass (Lapua and Peterson).

View attachment 396064
View attachment 396063
Yeah that's going to be an awesome setup!
I love the improved NM case, and the 338 variety makes more sense to me than the 300 version.
What weight range are you going for?

So you're field dressing a blacktail buck and hear a snort behind you.

You turn to see a brown bear at 20 yards sizing you up.

Do you want the 300 PRC with a 180 gr bullet in your hands or the 338 RUM with a 250 gr bullet in it?

Do you need it?