Do I get long range points for difficulty??? nice Buck today..

nolo263

Hello, this is my first post kinda. I shot a nice ten point today!!!

Today I went to my mother in laws ranch in south texas. i have been hunting this ranch all season and until today have only seen some small bucks that i did not want to shoot. A cold front came through texas and i guess this got the bigger bucks moving.. I was sitting in a deerblind overlooking a small field, here is a pic of the field and the feeder its hard to see but at the end of the field is the feeder. it is exactly 380 yards measured with a surveyors wheel. past the feeder where the brush starts is exactly 400 yards.
ranchfeederview.jpg

at about 5:30 p.m. i was looking down the sendero through the field at the end of the field the sendero closes, where it has not been driven in a long time. i saw an animal move into the extreme end of the sendero. i was able to get my rifle up just in time as the buck moved into the brush and i saw horns through the scope. i dialed in 5.75 moa into my scope. by the way my rifle is a fn spr a5m in .300wsm, i am shooting a 178gr. amax in win. cases with 70.0 gr. of re-22. my scope is a IOR VALDADA 3-18x 42 with a 35mm tube (flea scope) I got settled down and waited to see if he would come out into the field to the feeder. I then saw something move in the brush about 10 ft. inside the brush. i put the scope on the buck and waited till he lifted his head to see where his shoulder was i could barely see him inside the brush, as i squeezed the trigger the rifle recoiled and when i got the site picture back i saw nothing no dirt fly up no kicking nothing. i waited about 5 mintutes and got down to look for him since it was getting dark fast. when i got to the brush where i last saw him there he was didnt even take a step. He has ten scorable points and weighs easily 180 pounds maybe more.. enjoy

buck2.jpg

buck1.jpg

sorry for the crappy pics but this was taken with my camera phone. and also sorry for the spelling and punctuation but i am tired.the buck was shot exactly 400 yards and ten feet into the brush easily the hardest shot i ever made(so does that get me any distance points since he was in the brush??) . strangely when i found him the impact was on the base of the neck i figured i didnt hold far enough back to allow for the wind but when i dragged him out i noticed that his off side shoulder was broken, so i figured from the time i squeezed the trigger to the time the bullet impacted he was able to slightly turn into the shot. here is a pic of my rifle getting cleaned and ready for the next trip.
myfnspr1.jpg

myfnspr2.jpg

IT SHOOTS AWESOME. USUALLY IT WILL SHOOT IN THE .3'S AND I HAVE SEVERAL GROOPS IN THE LOW .2'S. but it is pillar bedded that helped alot. the groups were cut in half after i bedded it. the only complaint i have i guess is it will kick the crap out of me if i dont get behind it right. this is the second fn spr i have owned the first one i had to send back to fn. would not group under 1" no matter what load i tried.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.