Do I get long range points for difficulty??? nice Buck today..

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by nolo263, Dec 1, 2006.

1. nolo263

nolo263 Well-Known Member

Hello, this is my first post kinda. I shot a nice ten point today!!!

Today I went to my mother in laws ranch in south texas. i have been hunting this ranch all season and until today have only seen some small bucks that i did not want to shoot. A cold front came through texas and i guess this got the bigger bucks moving.. I was sitting in a deerblind overlooking a small field, here is a pic of the field and the feeder its hard to see but at the end of the field is the feeder. it is exactly 380 yards measured with a surveyors wheel. past the feeder where the brush starts is exactly 400 yards.
    [​IMG]
    at about 5:30 p.m. i was looking down the sendero through the field at the end of the field the sendero closes, where it has not been driven in a long time. i saw an animal move into the extreme end of the sendero. i was able to get my rifle up just in time as the buck moved into the brush and i saw horns through the scope. i dialed in 5.75 moa into my scope. by the way my rifle is a fn spr a5m in .300wsm, i am shooting a 178gr. amax in win. cases with 70.0 gr. of re-22. my scope is a IOR VALDADA 3-18x 42 with a 35mm tube (flea scope) I got settled down and waited to see if he would come out into the field to the feeder. I then saw something move in the brush about 10 ft. inside the brush. i put the scope on the buck and waited till he lifted his head to see where his shoulder was i could barely see him inside the brush, as i squeezed the trigger the rifle recoiled and when i got the site picture back i saw nothing no dirt fly up no kicking nothing. i waited about 5 mintutes and got down to look for him since it was getting dark fast. when i got to the brush where i last saw him there he was didnt even take a step. He has ten scorable points and weighs easily 180 pounds maybe more.. enjoy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sorry for the crappy pics but this was taken with my camera phone. and also sorry for the spelling and punctuation but i am tired.the buck was shot exactly 400 yards and ten feet into the brush easily the hardest shot i ever made(so does that get me any distance points since he was in the brush??) . strangely when i found him the impact was on the base of the neck i figured i didnt hold far enough back to allow for the wind but when i dragged him out i noticed that his off side shoulder was broken, so i figured from the time i squeezed the trigger to the time the bullet impacted he was able to slightly turn into the shot. here is a pic of my rifle getting cleaned and ready for the next trip.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. arthurj

arthurj Well-Known Member

Nice shot, nice deer, nice rifle! Looks like a biggin!

3. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

Congrats on a nice buck.

How do you like your FN? How does it shoot?

4. nolo263

nolo263 Well-Known Member

IT SHOOTS AWESOME. USUALLY IT WILL SHOOT IN THE .3'S AND I HAVE SEVERAL GROOPS IN THE LOW .2'S. but it is pillar bedded that helped alot. the groups were cut in half after i bedded it. the only complaint i have i guess is it will kick the crap out of me if i dont get behind it right. this is the second fn spr i have owned the first one i had to send back to fn. would not group under 1" no matter what load i tried.

5. Mountainsheep

Mountainsheep Well-Known Member

Congratulations; good shooting.
    Dave

6. Huntr3006

Huntr3006 New Member

Congrat's on a great shot, and, nice buck!!