diy carbon barrel sleeve?

hollywood88

i have a stevens model 62 .22lr that i just picked up in a trade and i want to do some tinkering. the only problem is that i cannot find any aftermarket goodies for it. i wanted a .920 barrel for it but cannot find one so im thinking about improvising. do you guys think it would be possible for me to turn out some bushings out of aluminum(one for the breach end and one for muzzle end) and attach them to the barrel with a carbon fiber tube fitted between them. so i could basically have one with a center bore big enough to slide all the way down the barrel then have a .25" shoulder flush fit with the o.d. of the carbon and a inner spud the size of the i.d. of the carbon(same idea for front). then i could epoxy the spuds into the tube and slide it over the barrel. i could then use some soft tip set screws to hold it into place.

Your thinkin' is a bit out of the box, but just a bit. This would be an interesting project.

There is a gunsmith in Rexburg ID who has been playing with an idea similar to yours but with a different object.

He's rigging an aluminum sleeve over the barrel in a manner that allows for tensioning the barrel to tune it to optimum accuracy.

So. . . it seems something like your idea may work if you're willing to go through the effort.

well its good to see that im not the only person with this idea lol. im thinking about getting the tube from dragonplate.com, do you guys know of any other good place to get the carbon tube?

Tension barreled guns have been shot quite a bit in 1K BR. They have had good but somewhat erratic performance. They need more match to match tuning than most other setups. If you consider that a steel barrel and either an AL or carbon tube will have quite a bit different thermal expansion coefficient. If there is not something to conduct the heat from the barrel to the outer tube the smaller dia barrel will just hotter and have less air flow to cool. There are some 22 barrels with solid AL tubes epoxied over them I believe from magnum research.

It's not only the barrel expansion when fired it's the expansion difference at different ambient temps. If you tune/sight in at 85 deg and then go out at 30 deg the amount of tension on the barrel will be different with the first shot. If your talking slow fire 22 it might not matter either way but if that's true it might end up being more of cosmetic change than anything.

cosmetic would be a plus but performance is what i would like. i am hoping that by cutting down and sleeving my sporter barrel i can stiffen it up some. plus its also nice having a gun that sticks out when your at the range. just seams like there are 50,000,000 custom 10/22's and "tacticle" shotguns around here. to me just slapping a barrel/stock combo onto a 10/22 doesnt make it a custom its just more out of the box stuff. and putting a pistol grip stock on your shotgun doesnt automatically make it a tacticle gun. then again i am the same way about the vehicles i build (built not bought) so i guess it would make sense i think of my guns the same way lol.

CF can dissipate heat better than steel. There was an outfit making CF tubes on Krieger barrel and of at sniper central a few owners have all good things to say. Even reports of greatly extended barrel life.

I have done several 10/22 barrels. I turn the front sight boss down to 7/16 and thread to 7/16 NF. Turn barrel from 1" from breech to 7/16" with big radius. Turn breech end of barrel 1/8" down from original dia. leaving a shoulder out 3/4" from breech. Machine aluminum tube to fit over barrel from alum. conduit. Fab SS nut to screw on barrel to tension. Mill 2 flats on muzzle sides to hold barrel while tightening nut. Will shoot as good or better that Vol. barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.