First DIY Savage, Barrels?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Duckman208, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Duckman208

Duckman208 Well-Known Member

I'm at the drawing board on my first do-it-yourself savage and I'm looking for some pointers on drop in barrels. I'm planning on doing all the work myself and the rig is going to be a semi long range deer gun and hopefully goat and sheep if I ever draw a tag. I'm set on 6.5WSM for the caliber and 26'' #4 contour tube. Right now Shilen is looking good to me as far as ease of installation and as far as I know they make good tubes. If anyone has any insight or experience on this kind of project I would love any information. Thanks for your time.

2. submoa

submoa Well-Known Member

Yap go check out savage shooters forum there the all thngs savage site

3. Gunpoor

Gunpoor Well-Known Member

Never swapped barrels on a Savage but might in the future. Whatever barrel brand you go with I would suggest it have a 1/8" twist. I have read some good reviews on the E. R. Shaw barrels for the Savages. They sell them at E. Arthur Brown at very good prices and they can be bought as a kit that includes the barrel nut wrench and the go/ no go gauges at very good prices.

4. JackinSD

JackinSD Well-Known Member

5. KRP

KRP Well-Known Member

Shilen won't do pre-fits in contours other than the factory Savage contours, or they wouldn't the last I asked anyway. If you are set on the #4 you'll need to get it somewhere else or buy a blank and have it fit.

6. JackinSD

Not correct.

Welcome to Shilen Rifles, Inc.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  7. Duckman208

I haven't spoken with Shilen but I believe their savage heavy sporter is about what I'm after. Shilen and E.R. Shaw seem to be the only companies out there that are making drop ins that require no additional machining. If anyone knows of any other shops that do I would be interested in checking them out.Thanks again to everyone.

8. JackinSD

There are plenty of others. Go to Savage Shooters. Easier than listing them all.

Then look for Northland Shooters Supply. Can't make you go there, but it has been suggested already.

9. KRP

KRP Well-Known Member

Those four contours listed are what they do as pre-fits, no #4 on that chart. I do have a no taper pre-fit from them but that was several years ago and I don't know if they'll still do it.

10. Trickymissfit

Trickymissfit Well-Known Member

try Pacnor
    gary

11. clambdin

clambdin Well-Known Member

Call Devin at Sin Arms, he can cut you a brux !

12. Trickymissfit

Trickymissfit Well-Known Member

forgot all about him! He, from what I hear makes a very good barrel.
    gary

13. nddodd

nddodd Well-Known Member

I've had shilen, benchmark, Mcgowen, and now criterion. They are all good barrels and all of them were very easy to install. Just be sure to put some anti-seize on the shank threads if you ever plan on taking it off.

Nathan

14. Duckman208

Thanks for the tip guys. Just dropped Sin Arms an e-mail.