DIY Carbon fiber barrel?

The 28 nosler that started life as a #5 brux weighed 79.9oz with barrel, receiver and lug. Just finished the CF part tonight and just need to add a different brake tomorrow. It weighs 69.8oz with the sacrificial brake full of epoxy :) It will be more than 10oz of savings which is huge in my book. It is the bottom one in the picture. 3 down, one or two to go.
View attachment 225863
Inspiring, but at 10oz savings, I wouldn't do it.

Final weight is 69.1oz for a savings of 10.8oz. With the places we go, 10oz is a big savings! :) Decided to do the budget tikka project and it went from 9lb 12.5oz to 8lb 6oz. 1lb 6oz savings is huge there. We'll see how she shoots compared to before.
Keenly interested in a range report.
I wrestle with the gear weight issue, and my regular conclusion is to run hills, situps, push ups, lift weights more, & drink less.
It's challenging.
The key is to have an exercise partner like Clint Eastwood had in The Eiger Sanction. Rewards = motivation.

South texas hunting usually consists of sitting in a blind, staring at a feeder...one of these days when I grow up I'll find a place to lease, then hopefully have more freedom but till then I'm at the mercy of friends who invite me along to their place....so weight currently is not an issue, doesn't matter if its 1 lb or 30 lbs when hanging out the window like that....I'm interested in carbon for the stiffness it adds
Definitely looking forward to your range results

South texas hunting usually consists of sitting in a blind, staring at a feeder...one of these days when I grow up I'll find a place to lease, then hopefully have more freedom but till then I'm at the mercy of friends who invite me along to their place....so weight currently is not an issue, doesn't matter if its 1 lb or 30 lbs when hanging out the window like that....I'm interested in carbon for the stiffness it adds
Definitely looking forward to your range results
Not a lot of blinds facing automatic feeders up here :) after finishing the complete budget 300wsm, it actually came in at 8lb 15.3oz. A different brake accounted for the extra weight. Hopefully friday will give good enough weather to shoot and see changes.

@Mram10us, since you turned your barrel down to 16mm, what is the finished diameter at the chamber end and the muzzle end?
How many feet/yards of fiber, and what width, did you use?
Curious because I have three barrels sitting around, a Savage action (small) and Rem 721 Action I can use. Thinking a light varmint gun in 6mm Ackley would be a fun project. (I know, 'light' contradicts the notion of "varmint" gun, but what the heck?)

One barrel i turned down to 16mm roughly 5" from the chamber end to the muzzle. Dont do what im doing, because it hasnt been tested. I'll post more info when i get some testing done. This thread is for entertainment only :)

Finished the my new 28 nosler barrel. Hopefully get it done tonight. Barrel turned out great. Added some red accents to match the eh1 it will go in. Pics of it later when the painting is done
543F0585-1E0B-47DF-A631-6BD082AC6CEC.jpeg

7217FC57-D09E-4A43-ABA7-5E29F984D026.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts