DIY 10 point CO res deer hunt suggestion

cohunt

I've got res. 10 pref points for deer and I'm looking for a good gmu/area to apply for this year that I might bring home a decent animal.

My main problem is time off work and not knowing an area. It's hard for me to try new areas as I end up just going in blindly (use on-x and the cpw mapping web page) I can take about a week off work but that usually still leaves me wandering around aimlessly.

I like to bring my bumper pull camper for a base camp on nf land if possible and f150-- and I can bring an atv if needed to try to get away from crowded areas-- then hike in for day or even a couple days away from base camp. I'm not really into full season backpack hunts.

I usually end up hunting alone as I don't know too many hunters that can get the same days off work and have same points as me.

Anyone have some suggestions as to gmu/area to look at? Rifle or ml but I generally prefer rifle

10 points, hmmmmm, as you probably know, 3rd or a 4th season where you can get a tag, the later, the better for deer. The better western slope units that I'm familiar with are 21, 30 kinda, 40 but where I see most of the pigs coming out of are the units down by gunnison, those deer down there are brutes. My son picked up a tag in 2020 for unit 21 third season, it was when the pine gulch fire took place up on the bookcliffs and even with 10 points he didn't get drawn but apparently a lot of people started turning in their tags thinking unit 21 got wiped out but it didn't, DOW started going down the next in line and he was one of them. I did lots of scouting for him as I use to hunt that unit before everything became a draw, the thing about 21 is it's a migratory unit, the weather has to get chatty in other places before the deer move in. But when they move in, holy cow it's nuts. The deer he shot was decent but if we had been low life poachers, we could've whacked a bonafide 30" er one night on the way back to camp that stood and looked at us in front of the truck. Good luck đź‘Ť